• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.8 Thunderbird motor and trans in a 86 2wd cherokee

has anyone ever tried to put the ford 3.8 into a cherokee??
I am currently attempting the conversion but any extra help would be appreciated. Currently i am going to have to build new motor mounts and probably relocate some engine accessories but i think it will fit also if i need to do a minor lift will 4wd cherokee parts fit the 2wd it looks like jeep just put a axle beam in place of the front diff and left the t-case on the shelf

As far as the 4x4 parts go, you're right. Pretty easy swap. As for the 3.8 I certainly haven't heard of anyone doing it. I kinda have to wonder why you'd want to. A 4.0 would bolt in easier and is a far better engine. Either engine, of course will require completely rewiring your XJ.
Tony

Ok, that makes sense. As long as you weren't planning on buying that engine. I have no idea how to go about getting it in there. However there are some post on putting in a 302 and I suspect there would be some similarities. check it out.
Tony

Back