• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunking noise while breaking...

cito57

NAXJA Forum User
I've posted this question before...I have a '96 XJ with about 161k. I am hearing a clunking sound out of the rear end somewhere when I apply the breaks. The noise is obviously related to the axle or breaks, because the noise slows down as the vehicle comes to a stop. Any ideas on what it might be? Thanks.

This could be something a little more obscure.

In 1996 the slip joint out of the back of the transfer case was moved from the inside of the case, where it was lubed with gear oil, to the outside of the case. This slip joint was lubricated with a heavy grease that gets hard after a while. You can't directly see the slip joint as it's inside the boot right after the transfer case.

The fix is removing the rear drive-shaft, removing the grease, and applying "Loctite Anti-Seize Silver Grade", stock number 76732.

Make sure you mark the rear U-Joint before you take it apart. Also mark the splined shaft, and try to get it back to the same tooth. The metal clips holding the boot can be removed without destroying them, but if you do destroy them, they can be replaced with thick nylon ties. Make sure you clean out well all the old grease, and apply the Anti-Seize liberally. I cleaned the shaft using carb cleaner.

No amount of oiling the slip joint will eliminate this. Other componds were tested, and this exact anti-seize has worked well in the long run, don't substitute anti-seize compounds.

i have the same problem on my 93. my e brake didnt work and i had horrable breaking. i found out my left front calliper wasnt working after replacing it i noticed a big difference. but the front end dipped down alot and it still wasnt breaking like it should. i looked at my back brakes they wearnt really warped. i adjusted them and the overall breaking was incredible. now that noise has gone away, it now has a new noise a deeper more constant noise and vibration. i will be ripping it apart this weekend to take a look.

I had a similar noise coming from my '87 XJ during an off-road trip. Everytime I applied the brakes while driving slow the clunk would come from the drivers rear wheel. I was afraid the bearing was bad but after getting home and pulling the rear wheel and brake drum I found the self adjuster frozen from rust and the brake shoes weren't moving to adjust for wear. After busting the adjuster loose and getting the shoes adjusted to touching the inside of the drum the noise went away. If you have rear drums I would look at the brakes.

Back