• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water Leak

crystalship1

NAXJA Forum User
1997 Sport:

So I was out working on the Jeep today when I look up and notice a rust stain on the fabric just above the metal headliner trim on the driver's side behind the center pillar.

I remove the rear hand grab and pull the the trim down for a look. The inside of the metal trim is rusty and so is the area of the sheet metal that mates up (or near) it, but I can't see any source for this leak.

There's no water stains (or rust) on the roof itself. I'm wondering if it might be a leak around where the factory roof rack attaches to the roof. Maybe one of the threaded inserts in the roof has begun to let in some water.

Anybody see this before???

I figure if nobody else has any better ideas, I'll pull that side of the rack off and seal around those insets w/some silly-cone sealer.

:eek:

Sounds like a reasonable approach. i am having trouble picturing exactly where you are talking about... Not uncommon for the leak to be at the drip rail, is why I say that.

Best of luck with your repair.

TheRasper.

Thanks Rasper!!

Imagine your sitting in the seat directly behind the driver's seat.

Look up and over your left shoulder.

It's the metal trim strip that runs just above the door.

That's where the rust stain is.

Roger :wave1:

TheRasper said:
Sounds like a reasonable approach. i am having trouble picturing exactly where you are talking about... Not uncommon for the leak to be at the drip rail, is why I say that.

Best of luck with your repair.

TheRasper.

Then I am guessing drip rail. They are not uncommon to leak, due to the flex of the body during even moderate chassis twist. If you look from the top, or remove the little trim piece that runs the length of the body at the top edge, you may well look in the rail itself and see some rust/gunk. You may be suprized what that little shiney trim piece can hide. From the factory they are a seam that is filled with a bonding filler, shaped to keep the rain off the doors from the roof, and route the majority of it back. Any old loose stuff needs to be scraped out, rust cleaned out, and then filled back in with either body filler or panel adhesive. (I cannot think of the right name for it now, but it is like the stuff that chevy holds it's doors on with. ) You can find a suitable filler at a parts house. Tape it, prime it, paint it. If you are very careful, the repair will never extend out of the area covered by the trim strip, and if it does, it will be slight.

Best of luck with the repair...
TheRasper.

I'll check it out tomorrow!!

Thanks again!!!

:)

TheRasper said:
Then I am guessing drip rail. They are not uncommon to leak, due to the flex of the body during even moderate chassis twist. If you look from the top, or remove the little trim piece that runs the length of the body at the top edge, you may well look in the rail itself and see some rust/gunk. You may be suprized what that little shiney trim piece can hide. From the factory they are a seam that is filled with a bonding filler, shaped to keep the rain off the doors from the roof, and route the majority of it back. Any old loose stuff needs to be scraped out, rust cleaned out, and then filled back in with either body filler or panel adhesive. (I cannot think of the right name for it now, but it is like the stuff that chevy holds it's doors on with. ) You can find a suitable filler at a parts house. Tape it, prime it, paint it. If you are very careful, the repair will never extend out of the area covered by the trim strip, and if it does, it will be slight.

Best of luck with the repair...
TheRasper.

I know this is a super old post, but the 97 I bought a few weeks back has this same problem only on the passenger side.

The metal trim piece above the rear passenger door on the inside is rusted but there are no apparent leaks/rust on the outside anywhere. I pulled the trim off and also the seal that goes around the door. There is some rust on the sheet metal under the trim piece and the door seal but nothing horrible.

Anyone have any other suggestions experience with this? Would like to find out what it is before it gets any worse. I don't see any obvious areas on the drip rail that look suspect, and am reluctant to try to pull the drip rail off for fear of tearing it up.

Thanks,
Chadd

Last edited:
Back