• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Vents Install Pics

xxxj-va

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks all for posting what they did/didn't do before. Here is a link to my install....these are the vents from the LeBaron/New Yorker Turbo for $4.00 American. I rough cut with a scroll saw and did the fine work with a set of metal files. De-burred, and dabbed it with rust oleum and a bead of rtv, fastened with zinc plated fine thread machine screws and bolts. Will it keep my electric fan from running all day during a trail run? I don't know, but it definitely vents some heat and the hodd is noticably cooler. Haven't had a hot day yet to comment on the engine temp. I'll be happy with a constant 210 deg.

-P

http://www.kofira.com/jeep/Hood Vents/index.html

Walk down to the local pick-n-pull with a phillips head screwdriver. My local yard had 1/2 a dozen of them and charged $4

As far as what to do about water I am not sure its a problem to be honest. What would I need to keep dry that isn't already semi-waterproofed under the hood on my 2000? I really don't know. I guess when I have a problem is when I'll have to fugure something out. If I do have to keep something in particular dry I will most likely go the route of fabbing up a rain shield for it, rather than some of the other approaches I've seen posted on NAXJA.

P

i have a rock-it intake and to do something to keep the filter dry so i just did this, my tps just went bad, it's right under the driver side vent, so i don't know if all the rain water did it or not.

intakeshield.jpg

intake.jpg

Nice pics. I did mine about 6 months ago. At 1st I didn't notice anything, but then I decided to hose out my radiator and now I notice eveything staying cooler. I still like the vents and the look and function of them, but I would have been fine if I would have just hosed out my radiator to begin with. I went mudding and never hosed them out, mud was on the backside of them so air wasn't getting through that good. I still throw the heat on when I wheel every so often then I get about 210 on the trail, but I do see the heat billowing out of them. It looks real cool and the vents themselves are awesome. They are as big as they can be, without you having the need to hack into the underhood supports. A real nice mod on a xj, they look alot better on there then on the vehicle they originally came on. :D
Troy

crookedxj said:
random question but i noticed your air filter just sittin there... How come you dont have your snorkle hooked up?

Sore subject with me....I put it in before I really had an complete strategy and before I was ready to actually fabricate what I needed without the airbox. Finding the right partshas also been a problem.

1. move bettery to driver's side
2. fab bracket for canister
3. find appropriate size tubing (this has been an unexpected challenge)

Maybe I'll start another thread after I move the battery to explain why that's holding up. I did pick up some 3" flexible aluminum dryer vent pipe. We'll see if that works.
-P

i havnt had any problems yet, even starting it up after getting rained on all night

Ok, I'm new to this. What the heck are the hood vents for if you already have a snorkel? To disapate the heat from the engine? Seriously I want to know.

The snorkle takes in air whenever the jeep is underwater. The hood vents, "vent" heat from the motor to allow better air flow to hot parts.

hadAjeep said:
Ok, I'm new to this. What the heck are the hood vents for if you already have a snorkel? To disapate the heat from the engine? Seriously I want to know.
to look cool and custom... just like my custom CB antena mount that is made of 1/4" flat stcok and way over done.

IM KIDDING!

when an engine is running at low speed and low rpm the water pump doesnt pump as much and there is less air flow past teh radiator, making the engine heat up. Vents allow heat to escape, making the rig more reliable, and making the trip more enjoyable...

I suppose you could do that but where ya gonna put it. Leave it in your parking lot, at home, carry it on a safari rack ?? Hood's a PIA to remove and put back on and it's a two person job at least, vents are more practical....

Sure I thought it would be a cool mod. Form follows function, I agree and I didn;t cross my personal "poser" threshold. This is my DD so I push only so far where and how I wheel. I can tell you that in the few days since I finished this there is a definite difference in the hood temp, and I haven't gone past 12 o'clock (210 deg). Last, before I got my jeep and my first wheeling trip I never really even changed my own oil. This jeep is as much for my own piece of mind as it is for off-roading. I guess I owe y'all money for the couch time now? :)

P

Yea, it mystifies some when either working on the jeep or going to the range calms me right down.... ask bones sometime if you ever run into him..

Would it be that big a deal leaving it at home and driving to your wheeling spot? Don't get my wrong, I'm not against the hood vents. It sounds like a good idea and I'm going to suggest it to my buddy with an MJ.

xxxj-va said:
This jeep is as much for my own piece of mind as it is for off-roading. I guess I owe y'all money for the couch time now? :)

P
RichP said:
Yea, it mystifies some when either working on the jeep or going to the range calms me right down.... ask bones sometime if you ever run into him..
yeah, same here.

Back