• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air line question

JohnJohn said:
I have air flowing through 1/2 tube at 120psi going into a pressure regulator, coming out then converting to 1/4" tube. If I set the pressure to 50psi will the down stream pressure increase due to the decrease in hose size?

Thanks,

Nope. No problem.

The pressure will remain constant, but the volume (cfm) that the 1/4" hose can move will be less than what the 1/2" hose can move. This can cause the pressure in the line to drop off if the volume of air used is more than what the 1/4" air line can move.

Charles

Maybe I don't understand regulators but I could not get them to work as desired with my air locker setup. The reason is you can regulate the airflow while the air is flowing through the regulator, but once your locker is engaged the pressure in the line will continue to rise unless you have some sort of valve to block it at or before the regulator. So even though your regulator is set at 50 psi (that seems a little low), the air pressure will be 120 psi in that hose when you decide to engage the locker again.

I had to ditch the regulator idea from my system and just use the pressure switch to keep the air pressure in the desired ranges.

IF you set the regulator to maintain 50 psi... then the pressure should be 120 on the inlet and 50 on the outlet.
Sounds like your regulator was leaking thru....
I used a 75 psi pressure switch to control the compressor for the onboard air and front locker along with installing a 3 gallon pancake air tank installed in the factory spare tire location.

Charles

Back