• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's the best rear bumper w/tire carrier?

btraysxj

NAXJA Forum User
What's up everyone? I did some searches but didn't really find what I was looking for. I need to free up some room in the XJ so I'm in the market to buy a rear bumper and tire carrier to get the spare out of the back. Is anyone out there is really happy with the rear bumper and tire carrier they are running?

I wanted an AEV but I am being told they are still trying to find a manafacturer to produce them. I am also hoping Rigidco and Rock Lizard Fabrications comes out with theirs soon. I am running the FBG front bumper from Rigid and it rocks.

Any info would be appreciated.

Brian T.

I just have one thing to say.

That Protofab bumper is the worst looking attempt at a rear bumper I ever saw!

I got the Wilderness rear bumper from Quadratech. It doesn't rattle, and the tire is offset a bit, so you can see..then again, with 33's or larger, you ain't gonna see a LOT, so..shrug. It had one tab on there, prolly for accessories (shovel holder maybe) that when you swung it all the way open, went right into the passenger side tail light, which seemed rather odd, since the thing was supposed to be made for an xj. But it's quiet, like I said, and solid as hell. The 'pin' screws into the bumper to secure the swing away, and that means either greasing it..or kicking it to work the handle loose. The good thing is, if anyone ran into me, I doubt I'd notice..it's pretty stout.
Ponder..don't see the Wilderness (bought it last year) in the catalog I just got..they've got a 'Four Real' one that I don't know a thing about. G'luck
with the research.
www.quadratec.com

I've got the Custom4x4 bumper on my Jeep, and it doesn't rattle ONE bit, it's extremely solid, and I believe it's actually the cheapest bumper on the market (or one of the cheapest). I think it looks pretty good, too.

Here's another vote for the Custom4x4 unit. Solid, no rattles, and an awesome price.

BillR said:
Here's another vote for the Custom4x4 unit. Solid, no rattles, and an awesome price.
where can those be found

I like the C4x4 bumper but was hoping for one with a receiver built in. Also the tire seems to be mounted pretty low, any problems dragging it? I want to get rid of my receiver hitch since it gets dragged.

What do you guys think about Off Road Technology's bumper? I have a 2000 so I'll either have to mod the plastic like they did or run a different guard.

http://www.offroadtechnology.com/jeep-xj-cherokee-tire-carrier.html

Brian T.

keel5 said:
I just have one thing to say.

That Protofab bumper is the worst looking attempt at a rear bumper I ever saw!

I assume you own one, No they are beeffy as hell oh yeah I like being able to see out my rear window can any others say that!! I doubt it...
themud
:D

Another vote for the C4x4 bumper.

As for dragging it, BillR is running 33s and5-6" of lift or so, and I havent seen him drag it yet. As for me, I am running 30" tires and 2.5" of lift and have never had any problems dragging mine. The only thing that drags on mine is the hitch.

Fergie

To piggy back on this conversation - I'm looking for a rear bumper + tire carrier that also has rear quarter panel protection, possibly in one piece. Also a flush mounted receiver looks nice. Is it possible to integrate the rear bumper and a gas tank skid? Oh, I'm talking about newer model 97+ XJ's, because those plastic bumper caps go up to the rear fender flare.

Fergie said:
Another vote for the C4x4 bumper.

As for dragging it, BillR is running 33s and5-6" of lift or so, and I havent seen him drag it yet. As for me, I am running 30" tires and 2.5" of lift and have never had any problems dragging mine. The only thing that drags on mine is the hitch.

Fergie

That's what I was needing to hear Fergie. I want to be able to look out the rear window but I also need the clearance. I am on a 4.5 RE with 31's.

Brian T

crookedxj said:
http://www.spydercustoms.com/index2.php makes one called the rock brawler rear bumper.

And heres a link to the wilderness rack poomba was talking about. http://www.garvin-industries.com/cherokee_bsa.htm

But if your willing to wait, aev's website just says thiers is coming soon.

$1226 for the Spyder Customs bumper.... ouch! Plus $65 for the quarter panel guards. I'll inquire about some pics and to see how it mounts since I'm curious but seems a little pricey.

The Wilderness bumper doesn't look like it has a great mounting system and I can't tell how the swing away tire carrier opens and closes. Looks like a pull pin operation.

Thanks for all the replies, please keep them coming. :D

Back