• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Looseness

LouisianaZJ

NAXJA Member #1362
Alright, I'll start at the beginning. The steering was very tight and responsive with all stock xj steering with 100k miles on it. I took it wheelin and smacked the tierod but did not bend it and the pitman arm tre had a little up and down play after wheelin.

afterwards the steering column interlock no longer worked, no biggie, and the steering was a little looser. I decided to take the opportunity to swap in ZJ v8 tie rod and ends ($100) and a new napa pitman arm tre ($30) (only old stuff left on was the draglink and adjuster). all the ends were tightened to spec 60ft lbs and had no play. I also got it aligned with like .01* toe in. afterwards the steering feels alot lighter than originally and alittle less precise as it once was. It also shakes when going over bumps which it did not do before.

I unbolted the SS and tested it manually and it provides even, firm resistance in both directions with no dead spots. I also tightened both SS bolts down good.

I checked the t-bar bolts and the steering box bolts, LCAs UCAs etc which were tight.

There is a little play in the steering shaft (not sure if that is the right termonology, the shaft between the wheel and the steering box) the play is minimal and is near the firewall and rag joint.

When I get someone to cycle the steering with me underneath I see the pitman arm TRE rotates a good bit when it is cycled.I was gonna get this replaced under warranty and get it aligned again (free)

98XJ, 6.5" lift with RE drop brackets, and 33's

Get it replaced and then test it again you might have just dinged your box alittle and hell when you lift it its never tight again anyway :wierd: ...
good luck
themud

Back