• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I Need Help Quick!!!!!!!!11

hjeepxj

#OCDINK
NAXJA Member
I got my front end installed, steering box and new steering and I tried to eyeball allign it before I got it back together and thought I could kind of wing it because the allignment shop is not far from my house.

Well I put the tires on and such and backed it out of the garage, and it is a real dog! I have to gas it to get itfrom a dead stop and when Im accelerating it just doesnt have any balls.

I reconnected the front drive shaft and am running 4.10s front and 3.55s in the back, but I was told by everyone (except BillR :D ) that I could run this way as long as I didnt put it into 4wd...

I looked at the front end allignment and it is horrible!!! The caster is horrible, the driver side tire leans in at the top (noticibly) and it looks like it's toed in a little and I think the caster is bad on the pass side (bottom of tire is outward)

Could the horrible allignment be the culprit to my crappy accel? I wouldn't think so, but this is why I need help. :D

I also thought if you had different gears f/r and both axles were being turned by the tcase, that it wouldve shredded my tcase right off? Does anyone know anything about this? What should it do if I f'd it up?

Also another thing to think about: I put 98 hubs in w/90 rotors and reused my old calipers and 88 pads. Could this be causing drag on the tires? I retook the tires off and spun the rotors and they spin allright and the brakes felt good when I drove it for the half a block I did...

Thanks for ANY insight you guys can provide and I hope Im not as f'd as I think I am....:(

-Andrew

There are several different front hub & rotor combinations, and you can't mix and match. Someone -- I think CheapXJ -- did a write-up on this a few months back. It sounds to me like you have a case of dragging brakes.

Eagle said:
There are several different front hub & rotor combinations, and you can't mix and match. Someone -- I think CheapXJ -- did a write-up on this a few months back. It sounds to me like you have a case of dragging brakes.

Oh great.

I guess that would be better than a bad tcase...

I used the following: 86 Axle w/86 knuckles/caliper mounting bracket.

88 Caliper/New 88 Pads.

1990 Rotors

1998 Hub

I thought that you could use the 90+rotor/hubs and the Pre 90 Caliper/caliper bracket, which in that case I would need the pre 90 pads to fit the pre 90 caliper? Or is that where I screwed up? Should I be using the 90+ Pads?

UPDATE

Well, I put in the old pads (they were still good) and the break drag was the problem, we then measured the 2 rotors and the old one is an 1/8" smaller, and since I got the old pads, they were wide for the new rotor.

Maybe I'll try the newer pads...I hope they fit the old calipers.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

kmagnuss_2000 said:
don't laugh, but did you release your parking brake? Not that i've ever driven 75 miles with it engaged and didn't notice until I smelled smoke.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that was the 1st thing that I checked, as its happened before... ;) :D:D:D

Everyone is talking about subtle things. Check the obvious to clear a few things up:

Jack up a front corner...does the wheel turn freely? If so, then your brakes are not draging.

Based on your observations...get to an alignment shop ASAP to fix the horrible alignment stuff. Such a mis-alignment will not be good for tires and drivetrain thingies....

With different gearing front and rear...DO NOT engage 4WD for any reason.

Good luck...get the gears matched!!!

hjeepxj said:
I reconnected the front drive shaft and am running 4.10s front and 3.55s in the back, but I was told by everyone (except BillR :D ) that I could run this way as long as I didnt put it into 4wd...
I also thought if you had different gears f/r and both axles were being turned by the tcase, that it wouldve shredded my tcase right off? Does anyone know anything about this? What should it do if I f'd it up?
-Andrew
Although you will likely be fine driving with two different gear sizes, I highly recommend removing your front shaft while you are waiting to swap them out. I had a similar situation a few jeeps ago. I replaced the rear gearset and left the front as is until my next payday. The trouble was, even though I took pains not to shift it into 4wd, my wife, god bless her, put it in 4wd on the highway, because it started to rain. Apparently it sounded quite terrible as it was all torn to sh!t in the middle of the highway. The good news was, I discovered that my wife was not using 4wd properly, and it was a great opportunity to explain in painful detail how a differential system works.
Buck :canada:

hjeepxj said:
I used the following: 86 Axle w/86 knuckles/caliper mounting bracket.

88 Caliper/New 88 Pads.

1990 Rotors

1998 Hub

I thought that you could use the 90+rotor/hubs and the Pre 90 Caliper/caliper bracket, which in that case I would need the pre 90 pads to fit the pre 90 caliper? Or is that where I screwed up? Should I be using the 90+ Pads?
The rotor/hub offset is different between the '89 and earlier and the '90+. If you're using '86 knuckles, you have to use hubs, calipers and rotors for an '89 or earlier. The rotor will spin until the wheel is bolted on, then it's locked up. The caliper's at the far rear side of its "travel", and the pad's rubbing on the rotor. Been there, done that! :helpme:
You need to get a set of early model hubs, calipers and rotors OR swap the knuckles and use what you have. ('90+)
BTW, I have a set of nearly-new early calipers if you need them... :wave:

After I fixed the brake problem (temporary fix) I drove it to the Big O and got it alligned, tires squeking the whole way.

When I was 1st putting the shafts and hubs together, I noticed that the old hubs would not fit on the new shafts...

I used 297x shafts from the 98, and bought the hubs too because it was only 40$ for everything.

Did I just not try hard enough to get the old hub to fit on the new shaft?

Should I technically be able to put the old hub on the new shaft? Then I could run the old style rotors and everything.

Back