• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I Buy This???

SS468RAT

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I'm writing to get some feedback. I can pick up a 1993 XJ at a used car lot. It has a mild lift(blocks in the back and spring spacers up front), interior looks very clean and undamaged, body in good shape-no visible rust. It has a 2.5l 4 cyl. with a manual trans 4 or 5 speed??. It started right up but appears to need a pass. side motor-mount, which the dealer pointed out before I even popped the hood. He said it was a piece of s@#t unless you know how to work on cars(which I can do.) My concerns are: I know nothing about this engine/trans combo. I currently have an '96 xj with 4.0H.O. and am somewhat familiar with that set-up. Odometer said about 180000 if I read it right.
what should I expect from this engine/trans? is it reliable? what are the specific quirks of a '93 with this engine that I should look out for? With such high mileage I understand that the engine could go anytime but I need to know that if I was ever to have rebuild it -if it would be worth it? Is it a keeper or should I pass? What are some of the redeeming qualities for this set-up?(mpg?) I'm relatively new to XJ'ing so would this engine have enough power to off-road? is it worth performance -upgrading it(if possible)?

Please tell me your opinions, I'm on the fence with this one, sell me on it or tell me to pass. I figure this is the place with the expertise.

OH, I don't know if this matters but sticker price was: 1,395, chopped to 995.00 , he told me he'd give it to me for $400.00 + taxes, title, plates for a total of about $5??.?? I think it sounds like a steal but then again if I knew for sure I wouldn't be typing this.

I could go back anytime if I come up with a decision so the sooner I get some feedback, the better.

THANKS A BUNCH IN ADVANCE.
GEORGE

There are alot of things that can make this a steal or a waste of time.
1.Is it 4x4, you didn't say in your post.
2. Any 4x4 truck you can drive home is a good deal for $500 in my opinon.
3. Does it run and drive ok
4. If it has a broken motor mount, that is not that big of a deal, if thats all thats wrong.
5. Is the trans a 4 or 5 speed with no fifth gear
6. Find out what trans., transfer case, front and rear axles it has, in case you have to part it out if it is a junker
7. Use your own best judgement.
My dad has been selling used cars for longer than I can remember. I have seen cars that were to good of a deal to be true ( blown all to s**t), and realy good deals. Remember, it is up to you to check the whole truck to see if it is worth the $500. Good luck.

If it is a 4x4 I would say buy it for that price. I can't say a whole lot for that specific engine but I had an '88 2.5 and it was the only engine I've ever owned that was 100% trouble free. It had 240,000km on it when I got it. The previous owner (a friend of mine) had recently yanked the engine to swap in a V8. Unfortuneatly before he got the V8 in his little brother chucked a rod through the block on their dad's truck and the motor had to go in that. This meant the 2.5 had go back in but he figured with that many km's on it he'd rebuild it while it was out. Started taking it apart and there were no signs of wear whatsoever so he stuck it back together and threw it back in. It had 280,000km on it when I smashed it and sold it. Anyway after that the odometer got changed and I don't know the current mileage but I can say that that was 7 years ago and the last guy I knew of owning it lived just down the road and he drove that thing A LOT. He sold it this spring but as of then it had still never had any engine problems period. I just guessing but I'd have to say it's got at least 500,000 on it. Anyway, as far as I know the '93 engine is just an updated version of this engine with MPI instead of TBI, and more power (130hp I think). Guess you could call it the 2.5 H.O. (in fact however, the same engine was later called the Dodge 2.5 Magnum in Dakotas) As for the rest of the jeep if it's a 4x4 I think most of the drivetrain (i.e. axles, t-case) would be comparable to a 6cyl model of the same year with the exception of being equipped with 4.10 gears. As for the tranny I'm not sure what it might be, but I think the Peugeot was the only real bad one and I don't think it was used in anything that new. As far as gas mileage goes, my 2.5 (2wd MJ) was better than my 4.0 4x4 Cherokee but it was far from spectacular (24mpg sounds right but it's been a long time).
Hope this helps
Tony

I forgot to mention, it is a 4x4. I still have to test drive it, I just wanted to get some more info about this engine. From the searches I've done it does seem reliable. How would this truck perform off-road? I know it doesn't have 4.0 power but could I still 'wheel it ? Is there enough power? . As to axles etc. I don't know how to tell the difference anyway so I would guess that whatever is most common on these would probably be under there. Am I right to assume that it should have 4:10 gears because it's a 4 cyl? that would be a plus right?
Thanks for the feedback. If anyone has any more info let me know. Because TCHASE stated it was a reliable engine, I'm looking favorably at it but feel free to chime in. I agree with JUNKXJ any 4x4 you can drive home for that price is worth it. I'll keep checking back here before I decide and I'll let you guys know what happens.

Thanks, George.

Back