• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire diffrences

PFunk242

NAXJA Member #1161
What are the diffrences between a aet of 31 15.5 R15 and a set of 265 75 R15 ???? Any thing really? My tire shop has the same tire in both sizes but the 265 is $13 a tire less?? Is there a diffrence at all really?

Thanks
Fenton Beech

You will want to look and see if the metric tire has a P or LT rating. P is for passenger car and LT is for light truck. There will be a possible difference in the number of plies in the sidewall as well as the tread.

HTH

So if the tire has a LT rating there should be no diffrence aside from the diffrent way to say the size?

Fenton Beech

PFunk242 said:
What are the diffrences between a aet of 31 15.5 R15 and a set of 265 75 R15 ???? Any thing really? My tire shop has the same tire in both sizes but the 265 is $13 a tire less?? Is there a diffrence at all really?

Thanks
Fenton Beech
Well..... 265 mm =10.43307086inches
75% of 265 mm =7.82480314 x2 =15.6496 + a 15 inch rim =30.6496 inches
So theoreticly they are very similar but i have always found 31 10.5's to be a bit wider and a lil taller but it depends on the tire maker.

Did you mean 31x10.5x15, or like you typed, 31x15.5x15?
Not familiar with this size, but it would obviously be much wider than a 265x75x15.

Er ya sorry i meant 31 10.5 15 not sure how i typed 31 15.5 15 The 31's I have on there now measure out to about 29 inches but just about all of the tread is gone at this point. I think that i am going to go with the 265's but before i get them i will look at both of them side by side to see if there is much of a diffrence at all. Since we all know that not all 31's are 31 inches tall and that the 10.5 doesn't mean the tread is 10.5 inches wide.

Thanks for the help guys.

Fenton Beech

keep in mind a LT rated tire will have a higher load range,C,D,E. Also it will ride a little harder. Go the tire in questions website and they usually have all thye tire data for you. actual size load range etc.

All tire sizes are nominal. Compare several different makes and models of the same size tire and you'll find there's a range of dimensions.

A "typical" 31x10.50R15 is about 30.6" in diameter, 10.5" in cross-section (not tread) width, has a static radius of 14.1" and runs 680 revolutions per mile.

A "typical" 265/75R15 is about 30.6" diameter, 10.4" in cross-section width, and I don't have static radius or revolutions per mile figures for that size because I couldn't find anyone who actually made it when I was putting together my tire size/dimension spreadsheet. In essence, looks like it's about the same size as a 31x10.50, but if it's a P rated tire rather than an LT, the sidewalls will be flexier, the static radius will be smaller, and it'll run a few more revolutions per mile.

Are we getting too technical for $13 per tire? You need to decide which gives you the best value...and the best performance (for how YOU drive). If you do a lot of rocky trails...get an LT rated tire with lots of sidewall plies. A mudder, or sand tire is a different story.

All in all...tires are expendable to a certain degree. You'll wear a set out...then do it again with the same, or a different tire, depending on your experiences with the first!!!

Back