• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93XJ, Need supplier for door skins...

TheRasper

NAXJA Forum User
I have found several places to buy grills, hoods, lights, bezels, etc... But have not found a retailer to purchase a door skin. I'd rather not replace the entire door, since the damage is strictly cosmetic. Please let me know if anyone knows of a supplier that will direct ship door skins, even if it just the lower halves.
I have checked with the local body shops, and yes, they will sell me one... at a horribly inflated cost, I am sure. I am hoping to direct-buy, and save the 200% (or so) mark-up.
Thanks a mill.
TheRasper.

When my XJ was broken into they damaged the area around the door lock. The bodyshop (the dealer's body shop) cut out the damaged piece of the door around the lock and welded a new piece in. I asked him why and he explained to me that the way Jeep doors are made its extremely difficult to put a new skin on and have it look decent. That may be why you are having difficulty finding one.

Alt,
Thanks for the quick reply. While I still think I could do it, I understand what he is saying... Plus, from his view as a business owner the answer he gave you really means "It wasn't cost efficient to do it that way." Simple math, my friend... if he can make $500 dollars in 4 manhours, or $650, but it takes 8 manhours, what should he do??? I'd do the same, if you make a quality repair, not shortcut, and turn your profits quicker... (Can you tell I run my own business??? LOL...)

Aside frome that, I had thought about some of the ABS cover panels, similar to what you see on a Grand, or something like that... My damage is on and below the lower crease line that crosses the panel. These ABS panels are not easy to find, either.

Thanx again for the quick response... All thoughts and suggestions are welcome/appreciated.

TheRasper.

JC Whitney has door skins for the XJ

i do body work a living and the door skins are so easy to put on. it takes longer to take the door off then to skin it.try setting up an account with a jeep dealer and maybe you can get them cheaper. we get 30% off at are dealer.

Last edited:
MDXJ,
Good thought, but I doubt they would let me set up an account for a single purchase. I am still searching, as we "speak". No info available on where you purchase skins for the shop?? I think I'd be more likely to get it done with a tax ID number with a regular supplier than a one time purchase with a dealer.... although, I may still go in and try that...

As for JC Whitney, I have checked... they only have skins for CJ, Wrangler, etc.. they have many XJ parts, but just not skins... Bumpers, grilles, hoods, the norm. I surfed their site from every angle, and even backed up and checked with thier major supplier for Jeep parts, Omix-ada, Inc. They do skins, but, sadly not for the XJ... Woe is me.

Not done yet, searching on...!! Anyone else with any idea, The input would be muchly appreciated!

TheRasper.

Atl XJ said:
When my XJ was broken into they damaged the area around the door lock. The bodyshop (the dealer's body shop) cut out the damaged piece of the door around the lock and welded a new piece in. I asked him why and he explained to me that the way Jeep doors are made its extremely difficult to put a new skin on and have it look decent. That may be why you are having difficulty finding one.

I think that's more of a competency/skill issue than a design issue. I say that because when my XJ was brand new, some nimrod with a PU backed into my rear driver-side passenger door---and didn't leave a note.

They (the body shop) asked me if I wanted to replace the entire skin ... I said, absolutely. For 13-years nobody (including me) could tell it was ever replaced or damaged.

A friend of mine that supervises the body/frame fabrication dept. for a major stretch limo company explained that "skins" are difficult to work with... and repair shops typically would rather replace the entire door.

I don't know, thats just what they told me. It was a comprehensive claim so i didn't pay a dime and didn't really care. FWIW, it was Nalley Collision Center and it has an excellent reputation. They do all the body work for all the Nalley dealerships, Jeep, Audi, Jag, etc.

Back