• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake issues

skog

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 xj sport has some brake issues. at idle i can push the brakes to the floor and the brake light comes on and the brakes are very weak. with more rpms the brakes get strogner and requires less travel of the pedal. what could be causing this. vacume leak? My front right caliper leaks a little where the hose goes into the caliper but that will get fixed in a day or two when i replace the u-joint over there too. also my fluid is not low i have atleast 2/3 or the resivior full and i havent noticed a conderible drop in fluid in spite of the leak I live in a very hilly city and when i go down hills i have to run both the gas and the brake so i have brakes. please help

skog

Sounds like air in the lines to me. Probably getting in there through the leak when you let off the brakes. Bleed em when you do the other stuff, and stay off the street until then.

Ok i tore the wheels off and come to find out 1 pad was at the rivits the other 3 still had over 50% and the one that was worn was teh outside one also there was some good news and a whole lot of bad news. first the good news, the caliper that i though was leaking is not. Now the bad news all the fluid i though was from teh caliper was actually fluid from the axle. I put 2 quarts into the D30 to top it off. come to find out the seal is bad. and them more bad news on teh other side the timkin hub bearing that i put on in feb of 04 is shot. I can push and pull the bearing out 1/4" plus it is sloppy up and down. got the new pad on and the the brake alot better now but i still dont get and braking until at least half pedal. A new bearing is in the mail and should be here tonight so tommorrow i think i will install it and try bleeding the brakes and see what i get.

skog

Back