• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98-up wiper assembly swap into an 89?

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
Anyone done this yet? I attempted to replace my wiper bushings and 2 of the 3 cheap pvc-like replacement bushing shattered upon installation......and yes I was careful in my method. ( I took the $11.00 kit back to Checker and they agreed that the parts were cheaply made and expensive too, they refunded my money without a hassle.)

This process got me thinking.......if the wiper assembly is this easy to remove, why not just drop in a newer assembly from a late model XJ with low miles? This way the bushings are new (newer than my 180k mile , 14 year old XJ) AND you get a newer wiper motor too?

I'm gonna try it...........

XJEEPER

I've put the bushings in two XJs ('87 & '89) with no problem at all. Did you have the right ones? HELP 49445 is the correct bushing set. Use a socket on the back side and squeeze them in with a vise or c-clamp.

PaulJ said:
I've put the bushings in two XJs ('87 & '89) with no problem at all. Did you have the right ones? HELP 49445 is the correct bushing set. Use a socket on the back side and squeeze them in with a vise or c-clamp.

Same part number, same process, 1 worked, 2 exploded under pressure and I used moly lube during assembly as well.......maybe PVC and moly create an explosive reaction?;)

Good to know Tom, thanks

XJEEPER

Back