• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Los Coyotes Closed?!?!

jjmat3

NAXJA Forum User
Please tell me it is only temporary! I have had a blast there in my KJ on several occasions, but was really looking forward to hitting some of the tougher stuff in the XJ. One of my 1st stops would have been El Hill. Man if this is true and permanent it SUX Big time!

jjmat3 said:
Please tell me it is only temporary! I have had a blast there in my KJ on several occasions, but was really looking forward to hitting some of the tougher stuff in the XJ. One of my 1st stops would have been El Hill. Man if this is true and permanent it SUX Big time!
AFAIK at this point Los Coyotes is closed alltogether and later on it will open up to horseback riding and hiking. Offroading.... well we can only hope.

They told me at the gate that they would be allowing all to use the 'park' when they reopen.
Horses...mountain bikes....and 4X4's...(or so they say)
They also mentioned a website....loscoyotesinfo.com (or something like that)maybe I will check there....
Rick R

Perhaps WE should all start flooding them w/ emails about keeping the Off roading activities available when they reopen. Their site is asking- "In order to provide a facility that provides the safety and comforts of a horse camper, we welcome your suggestions throughout our development phase."
I guess we could all start hauling horse trailers up there to get in the gate? (Just kidding of course)

I sent an email suggesting possibly allowing the various clubs to organize an adopt-a-trail style program to help maintain the area for off road use. Constuctive criticism on the idea welcomed.
I know I would really be ticked if it was forever closed to off road use and camping. LCIR is high on my list of favorite places to wheel and I would gladly help them out if it would allow us to keep using their property.

jjmat3 said:
I sent an email suggesting possibly allowing the various clubs to organize an adopt-a-trail style program to help maintain the area for off road use. Constuctive criticism on the idea welcomed.
I know I would really be ticked if it was forever closed to off road use and camping. LCIR is high on my list of favorite places to wheel and I would gladly help them out if it would allow us to keep using their property.

If they will go for it, that is really a great idea. Might help to show them that 4 wheelers aren't all bad and can be responsible and willing to help thier community maintain the best wheeleing area in SoCal.

xtremewlr said:
If they will go for it, that is really a great idea. Might help to show them that 4 wheelers aren't all bad and can be responsible and willing to help thier community maintain the best wheeleing area in SoCal.
This is all great stuff, but I believe the Indians have other determining factors in their decison. I think overall, the cultural and financial issues are bigger for them right now. Although, plenty of "wish we still had it" and "thanks for providing" type letters might still make an impact.

I think a well drafted "co-existance" plan presented to them might be a good thing, but it's gonna be a challenge. Horses and motor vehicles...

--ron

So who is closest to LCIR from this group? Anyone willing to put something together to present to them about a co-existance plan or Adopt-A-Trail program? As great as LCIR is, I would be willing to even increase what I pay to play there as well. It is way too cool of a place for wheeling to lose.
My club, KJ WEST, which includes some fine XJ's from NAXJA, is really going to miss it too. I am also trying to get our Club organized to keep it open for future wheeling & camping. There must be others from So-Cal clubs that would be interested in persuing this too, anyone know of other groups to get in touch with?

I live about 30mi from LCIR.
Probably the closest from this group.
Horses and Jeeps can work this out...
But will the Indians want to?
Keep those E-mails comming....
we DO have a chance...
Rick R

Back