• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing steering wheel w/ airbag

90xjDave

NAXJA Forum User
I've never taken off a steering wheel with an airbag. How do I get the thing off without damaging the airbag?? This is on a 95 xj that I am parting out.
Any step by steps available??

thanks,
Dave

BTW, when it's off, the whole thing is up for sale???

remove the black plastic plug on the top of the steering wheel above the airbag itself, then turn the bolt inside counter clockwise this will raise a lever behind the airbag and you can gain access to the attaching nuts on the back side. when the bolt is loosened from the top of the air bag it is supposed to make the air bag unarmed.

jneary said:
remove the black plastic plug on the top of the steering wheel above the airbag itself, then turn the bolt inside counter clockwise this will raise a lever behind the airbag and you can gain access to the attaching nuts on the back side. when the bolt is loosened from the top of the air bag it is supposed to make the air bag unarmed.

Yep, supposed to. It should go without saying, but I'd yank the negative battery cable before you start. When the airbag unit is loose, lay it face up somewhere. If it blows by some freak of fate, it won't propel itself upwards.

95XJCOUNTRY said:
I have a 95 XJ w/ that same airbag style in it, is there a way you can remove that assy, and replace it w/an after market? if not can I just remove the air bag part of it, and keep the wheel?? any help would be great...

This subject comes up frequently, and here is a point to ponder if you are considering this:

If you remove the air bag, you are removing an integral safety feature of your vehicle. It may be against the law in some states, and your insurance company will mostly likely take a VERY DIM view of any action that results in removal of safety features.

All of this is moot, of course, if you never have an accident, or never intend to sell the vehicle.

If, however, and accident ever does occur, it would look bad for you as the owner/operator to be seen in a vehicle in which you have deliberately removed factory-supplied safety equipment.

Back