• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$500 winch options

TekkaMaki

NAXJA Member #672
Just looking for opinions.
I've been shopping winches at ~$500 and have narrowed it down to 2 and wanted to know if anyone knows of any other deals I missed, and also to get opinion on the 2. The ones I've eliminated are: Magnum 9000 for $520 + free s/h, Ramsey REP 8.5e for $420 + free s/h, T-Max 9500 for $560 + s/h....

and the 2 I've narrowed down to are Warn M8000 for $540 + free s/h and Superwinch EPi9.0 for $540 shipped. The stats are very similiar between these two, biggest differences being:

Weight - 114lb superwinch -VS- 74lb Warn (but not sure if this is apples to apples)
Current - 260 amps @ 8k superwinch -VS- 435 amps @ 8k Warn
Gearing - 156:1 superwinch -VS- 216:1 Warn
Features - superwinch has 125' cable, roller fairlead and integrated solenoid -VS- Warn has 80' cable, hawse fairlead and external soleniod

ANyone have any opinon on these or any other ~$500 winches? Also can someone explain the difference in gearing ratios to me?
Thanks!

i have a milemarker 9000 and it works great, usually can be had for around 400-450 w/ free shipping, comes with 100' cable and hawse

Just out of curiousity, why did you decide against the magnum? I am also looking for a winch in this price range, and am thinking about the magnum. Is it the warranty? Just curious on why.

Keep this in mind...more cable is a good thing sometimes, but your 8K rating is on the first wind only. Shorter cable is wrapped fewer times. So if you need 50' of cable on the Warn, you will be into the second wrap, most likely. On the Superwinch, not so. And the Warn comes with the Hawse, not the heavier (but likely better) roller fairlead. Just something to consider. Also, who needs 40 extra pounds on their rig? The Warn winches at a higher speed (even with lower gears)...so that's a lot of your increased current needs. If you are going to bother spending $540+ on a winch...get a good battery, as well. Just my 2 cents; I would go Warn.

-Rich

junkxj said:
Just out of curiousity, why did you decide against the magnum? I am also looking for a winch in this price range, and am thinking about the magnum. Is it the warranty? Just curious on why.

I eliminated the magnum mainly because the rated line speed didn't compare to the M8000 or superwinch and best price I could find for it was only like $20 less than the Warn M8000. The magnum line speed was 6.9fpm @ 8k and 28fpm @ no load -VS- the Warn's 8fpm @ 8k and 42fpm @ no load....but ofcourse that's just on paper, which is why I'd like to get anyone's 'tires in the mud' opinion :peace:

I have teh Magnum 9k got it shipped to my door for $505. Great winch made by warn. has warn parts. My buddy also has one and they seem to be very good for the money, comes with a roller fairlead. my 2 pennys.

tekkamaki, I think there is a magnum on ebay right now for around $468 shipped.( If the price makes a difference in how you feal about it) I have read that the magnum is slower than the m8000.My friend has the m8000, and loves it. I want a winch with at least 100 feet of cable. I know that a winch is rated on the last wrap of the cable, but that extra 20 will come in handy around here. Wow, this reply looks like a drunk monkey wrote it, sorry for the randomness.

i will say that the MileMarker is not the fastest puller, but it pulls very strong, never let me down

check out shercosales.com. sometimes they have good deals. I have always used warn 8000 but have heard good thing about milemarker.

I would look into the new T-MAXX Winches from stutz industries.

I have on of their 9500lb winches and it is really a nicely built product

It has the same NOLOAD speed specs as a WARN XD9000_

However it is faster at 1K, 2K, 3K and full load than the xd9000

These winches come with a 5.5Hp series wound BOSCH motor and and a MUCH quicker than the Superwinch, Milemarker, Ramsey units out there.

the Thing that I also like about the motor is that the spindle rides on Bearings, Not bushings like on the MM, superwinch, cheapo ramsey models.. Much better design.

I got my T-max winch with 120ft cable AND roller fairlead for $479
Good deal, good company, good product..

standard.jpg

XJONABUDGET said:
I have teh Magnum 9k got it shipped to my door for $505. Great winch made by warn. has warn parts. My buddy also has one and they seem to be very good for the money, comes with a roller fairlead. my 2 pennys.

My brother just got the same $505 shipped deal off ebay, I was impressed with it for the money, has a roller fairlead also and the parts look like quality pieces. I'll be getting one soon, I like the fact it's made in the USA, some of the cheaper winches are made in China.

juicexj24 said:
Where did you get the T-Max for 479 with shipping? I'm looking into one now. Thanks Juice

Ditto...I liked the look of that winch and the only reason I crossed it off my list was because it was outside my $$ limit. Thanks!

I have a buddy that works there and I did a "group" buy for 5 winches.

I am sure I could do it again, if we could get 5 people interested, I'll call him tomorrow

zjmikey said:
I have a buddy that works there and I did a "group" buy for 5 winches.

I am sure I could do it again, if we could get 5 people interested, I'll call him tomorrow

I would be in for that! At under $500 that winch looks REALLY good. Thanks!

Superwinch also rates their stall rating differently(higher) then the other companies. I can't remember what the rating is but if you search around you should be able to find it.

I was debating the same thing you are and I went for WARN M8000 awesome winch for 545 shipped from sam offroad. It does come with 80' cable which is a good amount a 100' would be better so I went with 100' of amsteel from rockstomper for 155.00 shipped with latching hook. All in I am at $700 and love the combo. Warn only way to go. I dont think T-max will be around for a long time, superwinch I just dont like, and as far as the magnum it is made by warn but I would just spend a little more and get the M8000.

Check to see where both were made. I had one of the first milemarker E8000's that I thought was a deal. After sending it back for a second time, they told me that they bought them overseas and slapped their name on them, so they couldn't control the quality. Good service though. I since bought a Warn M8000, which I assume is made by Warn and not supplied by someone else. Works flawlessly.

Back