• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

44 or ford 8

cherokee Wheeler10

NAXJA Forum User
I want to start looking at upgrading my 35 witch would you guys say is better the for 8 out of a 95 explore or the 44 out of a older cheroke??? which will cost less?? which will be stronger???

Hasta

cherokee Wheeler10 said:
I want to start looking at upgrading my 35 witch would you guys say is better the for 8 out of a 95 explore or the 44 out of a older cheroke??? which will cost less?? which will be stronger???

This is the question everyone serious about wheeling their xj/mj thinks about. My bro might have a dana 44 for sale if he gets the axle he has his eye on for sale--he live in Rancho Cordova. It is out of a 87' xj limited with 116K miles and in good shape. This would be a bolt in to you jeep. A ford 8.8 is a nice axle out of a 95'+ explorer in it has the correct bolt pattern, a tad narrower, 31 spline axle shafts, and nice disc brakes. The ford 8.8 will not bolt into your xj, like the 87' xj dana 44 will, but it is worth the effort because they are so easy to find, have nice disc brakes etc. They do, however, have c-clip axles which are not the best thing, the dana 44 has flanged axles.
Troy

For some reason I like the 44 more, maybe because it isn't Ford I guess, and I have one. Either way is a good choice and pretty much the same IMO. I would say that the 44 is cheaper though and easier for someone who doesn't know how to fabricate.--------Kyle

You can get the super 44 kit and it upgrades to a detroit or arb with 33 spline shafts. I am running the just the 30 spline shafts with a detroit and 4.88's and it's awesome. Plus like he said it's not ford

The d44 is the most bomb proof.

But since the ford rear end also uses c-clips and if you plan on staying with tires under 33" I suggest the Chrysler 8.25.

It has 29 splines, and bolts right in. Plus they are cheap and plentiful.

One limiting factor is you would be restricted to gears no shorter than 4:56, which is fine for 33" tires.

Gary E said:
8.8s suck I don't know why anyone would run one.
They don't suck. You just need to weld the tubes and fab in some spring perches and shock mounts. They are nice in that they are 31 spline, disc brakes and easy to find anywhere.

Just FYI, a 8.8 with disc brakes, you don't need to worry about the c-clip issue.

john mitchell said:
The d44 is the most bomb proof.

But since the ford rear end also uses c-clips and if you plan on staying with tires under 33" I suggest the Chrysler 8.25.

It has 29 splines, and bolts right in. Plus they are cheap and plentiful.

One limiting factor is you would be restricted to gears no shorter than 4:56, which is fine for 33" tires.

The 8.8 has the 44 beat in every category. Tube size, ring gear, etc. Make a list of all the parts, 8.8 wins on all counts. Yeah it has c-clips but so what, never seen/ heard of a problem with them. Some 35 spline 60 rears also have c-clips.

8.8 is a couple inches narrower than stock, watch your wheel backspace with large tires.

You can get C-clip eleminators for the 8.8 now.

I like the idea of the 8.8 only because every parts store that I know of stocks parts for them. There are tons of aftermarket support for the 8.8, and lots of junk yards full of spare axles.

C-Clip eliminators BAD

The standard C-Clip elimators are bad! A lot of mustang guys use them and they leak. The standard C-Clip Elim. are only for drag racing. Generally the bearing is smaller and the retention device is not capable of handling the side loads of road racing/offroading. To eliminate the c-clips for offroad/road racing, new housing ends need to be welded on and use the better Set 20 Timken bearing. This requires more work and new shafts but will be MUCH better. However, at this price level, you might as well stick with a 44 and get a super kit.

My bro is selling his in Rancho Cordova (Sacramento, CA) in the next month when we receives his new axle. This axle for sale is out of a 87' xj limited with 116K miles and a track lock limited slip for $400.

i'm not even so sure the 8.8 is a couple inches narrower. i've heard anywhere between 1/2" to 5/8" on each side... even better yet! :)

and don't forget it also has the same 5 on 4.5 pattern.

so does the xj 44.

get whatever comes your way and there are some great threads on here about everything, especially axles, try searching

XJ cost less and the 8.8 has alot more beef I have both sitting on my back porch side by side. The 8.8 is much bigger but offcenter pinion and needs perches remounted.
If you can find a cheap 44 go with it other wise get an 8.8 built the way you want with disc brakes. I'm trying to figure out how to puth the disc brakes on my 44.

Back