• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another wobble problem, not typical.

Jcrjet

NAXJA Forum User
I have a wobble (not death wobble) only @55mph+-2. Strange thing is it stabilizes after about 15 seconds if I dont' change speed or direction. If I change direction it starts up again and then stabilizes after about 15 seconds or so.
Now I exhausted all the posts about every wobble known to man. I've checked the tires for proper balance and pressure, I rotated front to rear with no change in condition. Everything in the front is really tight.
Heres what I have. '99 Classic about 4" of lift bits and pieces, 235's, Dana30/Chry 8.25, stock control arms shimmed, stock track bar, AA SYE, tom woods rear shaft.
I know it looks kinda funny with 235's. No snickering please, one part at a time.
Please reply only if you have some original ideas or similar issue with a fix.

Yes, just did the alignment and it is perfect. Thanks though. I'm thinking that something in the front is probably worn but not bad enough for me to find it yet. I'll probably have to drive it like it is until it gets bad enough to figure out. I plan to replace the track bar and control arms eventually, but I would rather find a fix to my problem before I start replacing parts just to replace them. I might end up with other problems before I fix the first.

Last edited:
Jcrjet said:
... Please reply only if you have some original ideas or similar issue with a fix.
:shhh: it's berry, berry quiet in here

sounds like the front bearing assembly...... how many miles on it, could be a ball joint too, I had a slight shimmy at about 55 mph, and when maintained speed it went away, after a couple more hard wheeling trips, the parts wore out enough to pin point the problem. first the bearings assembly went then the upper ball joints. I didn't have a problem for quite a while with the slight wobble, but once it started the death shimmy I knew that there was something wrong. Pretty easy fix though. The sad thing is that upon inspection prior to the death shimmy, everything seemed nice and tight, but it didn't take too much from the slight shimmy to turn into a death wobble, maybe about 700 miles or so. Hope this helps and is not repeated info... -Andy

Check the bushings on both the upper arms and lowers look for cracks or other signs of tearing or breaking with them if their shot that could be your problem what are the specs from your alignment do you have enough caster???With 4" of lift your right on the fine line for stock uppers needing to be replaced with adjs to fine tune it...
luck
themud

Thanks for the input guys, my control arm bushings are a bit cracked, and I probably need a bit more castor. I worried about the front driveline angle if I add the castor. I intend to replace those control arms and play with it a bit to see what I get.
As far as the bearings and ball joints, I'll just have to wait and see. It only has 80k on it and hasn't seen alot of offroad, so I hope its alright.
Thanks for the input.

FYI my bearings were really bad at 70k and the ball joints went soon after. You feel it getting worse, and then change em out.... but the bushings might be a touch easier to toy with than ball joints and bearings. try that first. -Andy

themud said:
Check the bushings on both the upper arms and lowers look for cracks or other signs of tearing or breaking with them if their shot that could be your problem what are the specs from your alignment do you have enough caster???With 4" of lift your right on the fine line for stock uppers needing to be replaced with adjs to fine tune it...
luck
themud

I agree with da mud. I had a shimmy at about 50 mph. I replaced the lower control arms and the shimmy is completely gone. You may be able to get the same results by just changing out the bushings. The bushings on the stock LCAs were pretty cracked up. And I'm installing new UCAs tomorrow.

Back