• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

painting

I

imma honky

I want to paint my interior black. It is currently a maroon color. I bought some of the "vynal & interior spray paint" from autozone, but the crap peeled right off......Anyone know of a real perminent way to do it? I really hate the interior coloring.
ALSO, i want to spray the back with a liner....keyword is spray, not paint. I bought some undercoating, hopeing that would suffice, but it is a no go and peels as well. The reason i don't want to use the better liners is because i am putting carpet back of it. I just want something tht will coat it so it will never rust again.

As for the paint, did you read the instructions on preparing the surface before applying? It shouldn't peel off, but if the surface wasn't prepped it won't stick.

I would not use undercoating inside the vehicle. It doesn't get hard enough, and it will not prevent rust. If it gets scraped or abraded and moisture gets under it, the moisture will be trapped and you'll be encouraging rust rather than preventing it. Auto Zone sells spray cans of bed liner -- use that if you insist on spraying.

First off no matter how well you prep the surface, it will eventually peel or wear away revealing the old color. But as Eagle said preparation is the key element. There are prep solutions made especially for apinting plastic and vinyl. The pores in these materials are holding oils and silicone that will not let paint adhere properly unless they are removed or primed over so as to seal them. You know, for $100 many lots will give you the entire interior of an XJ, I bought a spare interior a few years ago for that much. I got all the door panles, handles, trim and seat covers. The dash is safe to paint and yield decent results, since it is not subjected to much abrasion, unless your paseengers like to prop their feet on the dash.

As far as the interior goes. Undercoating is made to stay soft and flexible (though it does eventually harden and become brittle). It also outgases since it it is made of asphaltic tar, it is a poor choice for the interior, bad for your health. Scuff the whole back of your Jeep down, and lay down some marine paint, POR-15, or bedliner, its the best thing to do.

XJguy

Yeah for the painting the interior make sure to buy a good quality plastic paint and prep it good. Sometimes if you scuff up the door panels or anything plastic like that with a fine sand paper that won't leave noticeable scratch marks but will leave a good surface to stick to it , will help. I tried that under coating in a can trunk before and it sucked! it never dreid and stayed sticky and stuck to whatever I put in the trunk and to the mat. For a rust inhibitor that marine paint works awesome just becareful if you do go that route that you don't by the toxic stuff designed to kill barnacles and all that other stuff. The bed liner is probably the easiest and most practical, plus it will probably help quiet down the cabin a bit.

i've had real good luck with DUPLICOLOR "truck bed liner" its in a blue spray can and i get it at walmart..... lasted for 1 1/2 years on alum rocker kick panels on my TJ with kids climbing in and out and banging it up....... and it even shines up nice with armor-all if you use it on the exterior....

well, maybe i should just stay with the maroon then....i dunno. My interior wont get much play inside as ouside....so im not real worried about things rubbing against it.
I guess bedliner is the way to go....Herculiner i guess?

If you want to change the color of your interior then use SEM interior paints. Be sure to prep the vinyl first, which means wash the heck out of it and use the SEM prep spray. Silicone based compounds such as Armorall must be totally removed from the vinyl or the paint will not adhere. Again, prep is the key.

Erik
88 Comanche

imma honky said:
I guess bedliner is the way to go....Herculiner i guess?

Why automatically go for the most expensive solution after saying you wanted to do spray and keep it cheap? Two people suggested the Duplicolor spray-on bedliner, which you can buy at Auto Zone and at Wal-Mart. And there was another thread recently noting that Sprtsmans Guide ( www.sportsmansguide.com ) is selling Rust-Oleum bedliner kits (the roll-on stuff) for $29.95, which is about 1/3 the going price.

Back