• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What happened to my Driveshaft?

Yucca-Man

NAXJA Member # 683
It's only in Modified Tech because it's a Rubicon Express driveshaft, but as I was installing my BPI bumper today I noticed "something odd." It looks like the entire end of the shaft has popped off?

d-shaftbreak.jpg

Is this repairable, warranteeable, or what? What causes this?

Looks like the driveshaft may be too short and it tried to come apart when extended.
The cap is pressed on. Maybe the press fit is too loose, allowing the cap to fall off.

I had that happen to me. I pulled it off on a rock (caught the zerk when I was backing down). You can get it back on by either pushing it on or get a piece of pvc tube (cut it in the middle so that you can slip it on) that fits on top of it and use a hammer to gently hammer it back on.
Anyways how much slip do you have showing at this point (after you press the collar back on)? Cause it does look to be somewhat short. It shouldn't be a problem unless you got crazy droop in the rear, but if the RE folks (or whoever you got the shaft from) did their figuring out of what you need based on your stock shaft it's wrong..... almost a year ago I spent some time with them trying to get them to realize the error of their formula (new shaft = stock shaft +X" no matter what your lift is where IIRC x =5). After a few emails and calls were exchanged they sent me one that was about an inch longer then what they sent me previously.

Mine has done that too.Take a big wrench,like a large adjustable wrench,place it over the shaft and tap the cap back on.Some times when I grease mine I can see the cap back off,just drive it back on.
Wayne

Dang...good question. I was so tired by that point that I had enough energy to grab the camera but didn't even think to play with it. It's parked outta town waiting for me to install Dbs this weekend so I'll get a better idea at that point...

it might be a press on or it might be a screw on cap, it all depends on the shaft. you should check to make sure the drive shaft is long enought while the cap is like that. Just jack up the rear end and see how far thedriveshaft extens.

same happened to me years ago, honestly i just hammered it back in place, you would be surprised at the abuse that little collar can take. You should really use a dead blow hammer or not hammer too hard, even duck tape on the hammer will prevent little indents on that collar thing. I think mine happened from over greasing and then it just spun itself off, even when i grease it now i keep a close eye and as soon as i see that thing even move a hair, then i know it has enough grease.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dug this outta the archives - I'm disappointed with RE; the driveshafts are outsourced from another builder in Sacramento. They screwed up the build, and there's no relief hole for the grease. Giving it a couple shots of grease everytime I change the oil over the course of a year ultimately blew the cap off the end. RE said I can send the driveshaft back to the builder and they'll "look at it" ...I'm thinking Tom Woods might just be a mighty good option at this point

Go jess at high angle driveline. He is even better IMO--------Kyle

you simply poped the grease cap off. your jeep probably only uses about 1.5" of travel at most in the rear shaft. just press it back on with whatever means necasary...

Ahhhh...the other, unsaid half was that I've got some friggin bad vibes from it now; either that or the howling rear axle itself with the screwed up gearset...there are times when I'd love to just drop a roadflare down the gastank...

Drilling the relief hole was something I considered until I realized the vibes weren't coming from the front.

Last edited by a moderator:
Howling D44...there's another thread around here somplace asking about that. They were used gears and the guy who installed them sounded like he didn't do much to try to quiet them; a couple folks on here saw through the crappy photo shoot I did and said it looks like the pattern is AFU. I'm 99.9% tempted to spring for a new gearset and install from someone else...

you mean the prussian blue? the 8.25's just allways have that howl. I hear it all the time. I have a theory on it but have to remember what it was. something about having a standard shaft and a lift and the eliptical rotation of the ujoints and accelerating and deccellerating...
Yucca-Man said:
Howling D44...there's another thread around here somplace asking about that. They were used gears and the guy who installed them sounded like he didn't do much to try to quiet them; a couple folks on here saw through the crappy photo shoot I did and said it looks like the pattern is AFU. I'm 99.9% tempted to spring for a new gearset and install from someone else...

Someone was telling me that the reason the 8.25" howls the way it does has to do with the gearset.

He mentioned something about single and double lap and that if the gears were using the single lap process, then they howled and that double lap gears didnt. However, I dont trust the guy too much, so I dont know if it has any credit to it.

Fergie

Back