• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water in gas tank

greenday9d1

NAXJA Forum User
I managed to get some water in my gas tank the other day, and now it feels like the car isn;t getting enough gas. I heard that you can add denatured alcohol to the tank to solve this problem... is this true? If so, how much would I put in?

Gas tank de-icer, gas tank drier and even fuel injector cleaner, will help keep water in solution. Read the label and make sure it´s O2 sensor friendly, most are now on days. If there is too much water in there (like quarts) best solution is to drain and fill with fresh gas.
If the tank is near full, it may be worth it, to dump the fuel in clean (fuel reistant) plastic buckets, let it settle for a few hours and siphon the gas off of the water (gas will float). I have done this with diesel, the demarcation between the fuel and water may be harder to see with gas. I usually pour the fuel through a paint filter, before putting it back in the tank.
Don´t know how you got the water in the tank, but watering gas, is a pretty common way, for a gas station to make a few extra bucks. Really common in third world countries.

Long story short, I was trying to change a fuel filter and emptied the tank on accdent. Then I put the gas back in the tank, after cleaning the are around the car with water. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that some water got in there too.

I can tell you how common that is in third world countries......
Now, is there something (please don't refer Brand Names, we can't get them here) that can be used as a dryer. Denatured alcohol works? Anything else?

Denatured alcohol isn´t usually a good choice, because it´s usually like 60% or whatever alcohol, the other 40% is water. 98% methonal works well, you can usually get some at the pharmacia, it´s usually cheaper if you bring your own container. 400-500 mililiters or a pint is the usualy dosage (for a fulll tank of gas). Not a good idea, to use the methanol any more than you have too, it will eat up some types of rubber/plastic (over the years).
A little water doesn´t really hurt much, it´s when it collects in the bottom of the gas tank, that it causes real problems.
A good solution, I´ve tried on my YJ, is to install a really large diesel fuel filter (like a quart and a half), most of the moisture (water) that falls out of solution, will collect in the bottom of the filter. The diesel fuel filters, usually come with a valve in the bottom, to bleed off the excess water/moisture, without having to open the filter. I use a mil. spec. filter and element, specifies either mo gas (gasoline) or diesel. Doubt a regular diesel filter would cause any problems with gas, but may be a bit coarse to filter much out of gasoline, but will still work, to help seperate the water out.
Haven´t seen one in years, but a transparent fuel filter will let you see whats in the bottom of the filter. A filter to seperate water has to be fairly large, like a guart/liter in capacity to work well.

Last edited:
8Mud said:
Denatured alcohol isn´t usually a good choice, because it´s usually like 60% or whatever alcohol, the other 40% is water. 98% methonal works well, you can usually get some at the pharmacia, it´s usually cheaper if you bring your own container. 400-500 mililiters or a pint is the usualy dosage (for a fulll tank of gas). Not a good idea, to use the methanol any more than you have too, it will eat up some types of rubber/plastic (over the years).
A little water doesn´t really hurt much, it´s when it collects in the bottom of the gas tank, that it causes real problems.
A good solution, I´ve tried on my YJ, is to install a really large diesel fuel filter (like a quart and a half), most of the moisture (water) that falls out of solution, will collect in the bottom of the filter. The diesel fuel filters, usually come with a valve in the bottom, to bleed off the excess water/moisture, without having to open the filter. I use a mil. spec. filter and element, specifies either mo gas (gasoline) or diesel. Doubt a regular diesel filter would cause any problems with gas, but may be a bit coarse to filter much out of gasoline, but will still work, to help seperate the water out.
Haven´t seen one in years, but a transparent fuel filter will let you see whats in the bottom of the filter. A filter to seperate water has to be fairly large, like a guart/liter in capacity to work well.

Hmm. I was always under the impression that diesel was even purer or cleaner than gasoline is...

RichP said:
Hmm. I was always under the impression that diesel was even purer or cleaner than gasoline is...
I installed my filter/seperator after the OEM fuel filter. I´ve seen diesel fuel filters from 2-150 micron. Don´t know the micron rating of the OEM fuel filter.

Last edited:
RichP said:
Nope, Diesel can be quite crude, aka unrefined. There's more particulate matter, and it's less prone to impurity-caused problems. Since it's easier to refine you'll see it used far more frequently in less-developed portions of the world.

you'd better pull your fuel filter and drain your tank before you really mess somthing up, you're never going to get all that water out unless you drain it, go ahead and waste the gas, but its cheap insurance

i got atleast a gallon of pond water in my tank and 2 weeks later my truck still wont quit backfiring

Back