• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much difference

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
i am about to dump a lot of money to have my axles regeared from 3.55 to 4.56. i am running 31's and i want to get an idea of how much of a difference i will notice onroad, performance wise. i know this hasta but in all my reading on it i have not come across this info, thanks for the help

dont bother to regear, upgrade the axlesyou can find ford 8.8" from an exploder for cheap at a junkyard. I have thought about re-gearing and decided that when the time comes, a 8.8 rear goes in and a d44 waggy front goes in, just so i dont have to deal with numericaly high gears and stock axles..

that post was worthless....

XJ_ranger said:
that post was worthless....
yours? yeah it was :laugh3: but can someone give me an idea of the diff, thanks

edit:when did this :laugh3: become laugh3

Last edited:
i have 31's and regeared to 4.11's ...despite 3 different gear shops telling me to go with 4.56's...thinking that the lower gears would be too low for my daily driver (gathered from all the stupid gear charts). noticed a bit of a difference but soon enough i felt the experts in the industry were right. factor in armor,roof rack, and wind resistance from lift and wish i had gone with the 4.56's in the first place :(

I agree with Loop.... I did the 4.10's with 31's and although it is a lot better then 3.55's, I should have done the 4.56's.

Sorry I don't have specific details for rpm changes.

btray

I went from 3.07 with 235/75 to 4.56 with 31's. Since the re-gear, on pavement, I rarely use first gear (5-speed pugeuot junk) anymore. Before, I would have to downshift or lose speed on almost any grade - if there was a strong headwind even. Now, I rarely downshift. It definitely feels more powerful and responsive.

The rpm's are much higher now of course, but everyone seems to think that sustained 3000-3500 rpm isnt that big a deal for the 4.0 (no problems for me). I havent taken any long trips since the re-gear, but so far, my highway mileage seems a touch better than it was before. Still not as good as it was when my rig was bone stock...

Also, if you have any driveline issues, they will be highlighted by the higher rpm's.

If I was rarely going off-road (why would I have a jeep then?), I think something a little higher, say 4.11 (3.73?) would have been a better choice. As it is, I think 4.56 is a great choice for 31's on a dual purpose rig.

Travis

forgot to mention i have aw4, but 3.55 might have given that away. i dont really care about the rpms, my mileage is crap now, it will either get better or still be crap and have more power. just curious how much more power will be noticed. they should be in and done by tuesday or wednesday so i guess i will just have to wait and see.

just went from 4.10 and 32s to 4.56 and 32 and what a difference it makes off the line and just crusing around town let me say it now and LOUDLY, WATCH THE GAS PEDAL it dont take much of it anymore to move my rig it just scoots right along like someone lit a fire back there :flame: ...If you can stay out of the pedal your milage should go up...
:dunce:
luck
themud

thanks alot mud, thats what i was looking to hear

OK hope this helps.... I had stock 30/35 combo running 4:10s and 35s....It sucked...bad. We have a section of 4 lane here called John Douglas Wayside, its on the Virginia side of Bristol Motor Speedway. While running that combo on that particular road, I would sometimes have to drop to 3rd gear and I would have to run that to make it to the top, and only getting to around 40mph.

Now I have switched to d44s, 35s, and 5:38s. Mind you I have a 5 speed 2.5 4 banger.

Now on the same section of road, I can top the hill out a 75mph in 5th.

Basically the gears you want, if you keep running 31s, will put you a little better that stock.

I did some checking on what ratios you are looking at and it will have you running about 1,000 rpm lower than stock, at 55mph, which is a good thing.

1000 lower eh? you check out one of those charts, or was it something else.

I am running I6, AW4, 33's and 4.88's. I wouldn't even consider 4.56's if you plan to run 33's. with 4.88's I still have room to go to 35's without regearing. I live in mountainous region so i don't feel the gears r to low for DD. I get much better gas mileage now also.

BornAgainXJer said:
I am running I6, AW4, 33's and 4.88's. I wouldn't even consider 4.56's if you plan to run 33's. with 4.88's I still have room to go to 35's without regearing. I live in mountainous region so i don't feel the gears r to low for DD. I get much better gas mileage now also.
8.25 rear end, 4.56 is as low as i can. what the hell is a hill? the highest point in louisiana is around 400ft, only time my jeep sees hills is on the trail. i would gear lower but this is all i can do. dont want to start looking at new axles yet

cant afford it, credit card is helping me on this one, besides i dont see my self going over 33's for quite a while, especially since i still have 31's.

Back