• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swap questions

jimmy forbes

NAXJA Forum User
a friend of mine is getting a 98 wrangler with a 2.5l 4 banger. he want to upgrade to a inline 6, i wanna now if it will bolt to the automatic transmission. any other engines bolt up.
sorry it is not a cherokee question but the drivetrains are the same.
thanks
jimmy

98 would be the 60deg chevy v-6 patern. In other words a 3.1 or 3.4! I personaly would not mess with it but instead get a doner 4.0 and put that in!

Well, this post belongs on the "Other Tech" forum, so perhaps a kindly moderator will move it.

However, to answer your question, "No."

The Jeep 2.5L I-4 engine uses the same bell housing bolt pattern as the small General MOtors V-6s -- the 2.8L, 3.1L and 3.4L. The 4.0L I-6 uses a larger bell housing bolt pattern.

Your friend might check with Advance Adapters to see if they have anything that might make it work.

I once put a 4.0 where a 2.5 used to be in an 88. It had no powertrain so 6 cyl trans was used. You will need both engine mounts that go to the frame, they bolt right on but the mounts are in different places. The worst pain in the butt was the engine wiring harness, it loops around the bay 1.5 times IIRC. You'll also want to swap the entire fuel line assy's out unless you feel like cutting and splicing.

The nice part is that everything for the 6 cyl that needs to be mounted to sheetmetal, will already have dimples where you need to drill.
For the cleanest install you'll probably want an entire donor vehicle there for all the random stuff.

Back