• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

getting backup lights to work

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, more electrical gremlins. I have the AX15 and an engine harness which is for an aw4. Is it posible to interconnect the backup light switch with the harness (after finding the right wire) to get the backup lights to work? or is the backup light swithc (sensor) in the aw4 working differently and this is going to be a lost cause?

Hello, Kejtar - my friend bought the shocks and leafs from you the other day.

I have a 2000 shop manual, I imagine a 1997 would be the same.

Locate the plug that used to plug into the transmission range selector switch when it had an automatic (probably down by the console).

The White wire at pin 3 should go to the white wire on the backup switch on your AX-15.

The Brown/Light Green wire at pin 6 should go to the brown/light green wire on the backup switch on your AX-15.

If you were to connect these two wires together, your backup lights should come on.

To do a clean job, there should be a connector on your old 1998 XJ that had the AX-15 that used to plug into the back up switch & pass through the body.

Cool thanks!!! I have been meaning to trace the wires and look at the schematics for the past 2 weeks but time just keeps running away! Anyways this will save me a lot of grief.

Glad to help. Correction: the back up switch actually looks like it has 2 black wires coming off it. The wires probably are not color coded until they get past the connector plug - which still may be on the '98.

But - it probably doesn't matter if the two wires were reversed anyway.

Last edited:
jkmhb said:
Glad to help. Correction: the back up switch actually looks like it has 2 black wires coming off it. The wires probably are not color coded until they get past the connector plug - which still may be on the '98.

But - it probably doesn't matter if the two wires were reversed anyway.
Yeah it shouldn't mae a difference on the order of wires unless there is a diode or something in there to prevent return voltage, but I doubt it. In any case I'll play with it and see what happens.

Thats the problem Kejtar, you need to stop playing with it and start working on your Jeep.

ryurabbit said:
Thats the problem Kejtar, you need to stop playing with it and start working on your Jeep.
damn... you caught me.... how's your rig coming along? you've got that front 44 all swapped in right? :D

Back