• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can someoen explain to me full floater axles?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
What is a difference between normal D44 for example and a full floater d44? I keep seeing kits for it and I know a few of the benefits but not enough to really understand it.
Thanks

Feeble attempt.

Full floating axles carry all the weight on spindles like the front axels do. Non full floaters carry the weight on the axle shafts themselves. If you break an axle in a non full floater, you can lose the wheel where as a full floater, the wheel is riding on a spindle and will stay put as it is not attached to the axle shaft itself. HTH some.

Kejtar said:
What is a difference between normal D44 for example and a full floater d44? I keep seeing kits for it and I know a few of the benefits but not enough to really understand it.
Thanks

Increased Buoyancy.

The vehicle weight on a full loater is all on the spindle bearings like your front axle, and the axle shaft freely floats (no vehicle weight on it). Normal d44s or d35s have the wheel bearing pressed onto the axles shaft so the axle shaft is loaded and sees tortional forces. One less force on a Full floater.

A semi float axle pulls double duty- it carries the weight of the vehicle, and it transfer the power from the ring and pinion to the wheels. A semi float axle can only be changed if the wheels are removed because the wheels are bolted directly to the axle flange (more or less). Because the axle carries the weight of the vehicle and transfers torque at the same time, it becomes easier to damage the axle under high torque loads with a heavy vehicle.

A full float axle has only one duty - to transfer the torque from the ring and pinion. The vehicle weight rests on a seperate flange that is part of the axle tube that the wheels are bolted to. A full float axle shaft can be removed without the vehicle jacked up or the wheels removed. Simply unbolt the flange and pull it out. Because the only function of the axle shaft is to transfer torque, it is less likely to suffer damage. The actual weight of the vehicle rests on the axle tube (more or less).

When I first started getting into 4 wheeling, I would go to the junkyard just to look around and take stuff apart. I wouldn't buy anything, I would just see something on a truck that I wouldn't recognize, and try to take it apart to try to understand it. Full floaters were one of those things.

did you put it all back together or did you leave it apart to get rusty and useless? :laugh3:

Back