• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight Upgrading

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Currently driving in the dark for me is like driving with a flashlight out the window I have no bightness the headlights are really dull so I tried cleaning the covers an there just shot. So ive been looking into new bulbs or the entire fixture. Im debating on the H4's from IPF, IPF H4 Fatboys, or Sylvania Silverstar's or if you have a favorite just looking for some input Thanks

TORX

i got the silverstars a couple of weeks ago, befor these i had original headlights, its like a whole new vehicle. now its fun driving in the dark i need to try them out offroading. they are definetly bright and have a whitish look to them. i recommend these lights.

I have use both the Xtravisions and the Silverstars. When I decided to get the Silverstars (had some extra cash at the time), I tested them for a couple months and then went back to the Xtravisions....... I have to say that for me the Xtravisions work the best. The Silverstars are suppouse to be the best of both worlds between the light pattern (sealed beams) of the Xtra's and the light of the coolblues but at a higher light freq. . When it came to winter rain (the lines in the road pretty much vanish) I felt the Xtravisions did the best job for the money. Now this is for sealed beams....... using the other style is a whole other story...... in this case you can never see the full potential because in the sealed they are specially designed to reflect differently.... something you wont see with the H4's unless you take advantage of a better designed housing (like the IPF's or a European designed).
Before I got sold on the Xtravisions... I was using Hella.... broke a lens on one side and didn't have the money to buy another.... went with Xtravisions and was very pleased with them right from the very start. Best bang for the buck and they wont breake your wallet. In Washington State (forest areas) during rain I could see the whole road from drainage ditch to drainage ditch.
Anyway just my two pennies worth.

The setup I have been happiest with are Hella E code with the 65/55 Xenon bulbs. The xenon bulbs are more towards the white end, the standard halogens are more yellow. The trick is to keep the sockets clean, the XJ's have light wiring to begin with and any corrosion will only increase resistance which will decrease current and voltage to the bulbs. I use a burnishing tool made by GC Electronics, it looks like the striker on a match book cover only it's steel and a really fine file. Whenever I need to replace bulbs on the E codes I clean the socket with contact cleaner to get the dielectric grease out, use the tool, reapply the dielectric and plug the light back in. Any good electronics supply store that sells alot of relays and switches should have these in stock. I also use them on my Hella relays every once in a while to clean up the contacts on the high current side of the relay, cleans up the pitting on the contacts.
For dark back roads the Hella 450 fogs provide a super sidelighting that lets me see the shoulders better. The combination of the two makes nite driving a pleasure. My XJ is a 98 and the fogs are down low under the bumper below the headlights, don't know how well they would work if they were put up above it and inside the headlights like the older style XJ's.
While I live in a rural area we still have alot of traffic so high beam use is really limited so to me low beam illumination is more important.

I also have the silverstars, put a set of 7" rounds in one of the TJ's. They were a big improvement when my son slapped em in, he had the first one replaced when I pulled the plug on it, cleaned it and plugged it back in. He put the second one in and did not clean the socket. When he turned them on the side that was not cleaned was quite a bit duller, unplugged and cleaned and they both came up bright. The SS's are half the price of the E codes but the SS's are throwaway's vs the E codes where you replace the bulb with an H4 that costs $10....

Last edited:
One of the threads I was reading a few months ago was talking about getting E spec lights right from a dealer somewhere but they had to do it kind of undercover. Is there anyone still doing this?

DrMoab said:
One of the threads I was reading a few months ago was talking about getting E spec lights right from a dealer somewhere but they had to do it kind of undercover. Is there anyone still doing this?

Why ?? Susquehanna motor sports sells them directly as do a bunch of other places, they are a stright bolt or screw in replacment for those throwaway sealed beams. I put my Hella E codes in 2 months after I got my 98XJ in Dec of 97 and have been running them ever since. Gone thru one set of bulbs, actually only had one burn out and I always replace them in pairs. Reminds me, need to order another set of xenon bubls soon...

So when you got the new bulbs did you get new housings as well or keep the old ones? Also where is the best place to get lights from although it probably depends on what I decide on. Anyways I got some good tips an will do a little more researching thanks

TORX

Currently running IPF harness & H4 lenses, and 170w/100w IPF (930?960 Super Rally) bulbs. This is IMHO the hawt setup. I have ran Hella E Codes in my other Jeeps with 100/80 halogen, 130/90 halogen, 60/55 xenon and IPF-J... Just like cubic inches, there is no substitute for wattage... The J's were no brighter than the (much less expensive) 100/80 or 60/55 Hellas.

The functional difference between Hella E-code (Not VisionPlus) or IPF H4 lenses are minor, and the price is similar. Without the upgraded wiring harness, I would limit the bulb wattage to 100/80 halogen or 60/55 Xenon.

I see where IPF has a new 'MSR' style H4 housing (smooth lens and fluted reflector) for a few bux more than the older style... and those 'fat boy' bulbs I have no input on these products.

I get IPF stuff from www.rustysoffroad.com and Hella from Dave at Susquehanna MotorSports www.rallylights.com

I like the Silverstars. Had them in for over six months and with some sympathetic pointing they're pretty good; for the price to performace ratio you probably won't do better. YMMV.

I think alot of the reason that people run hella E codes vs IPF was the price, when I first got my XJ in Dec of 97 I started looking and CIBIE was outta sight price wise at $130ea from stern, IPF's were $90 A HOUSING w/no bulb at OK4wheel drive, Hellas were $93 a PAIR w/55/65 watt bulbs so I got hellas :D plus I had never heard of IPF before, they were a pretty new name here in the US. Susquehanna I like cause he has the stuff in stock and gets it to you pretty quick and he's been around a while. I needed a 450 lense and got it in 3 days, well packed. He also has alot of good info on his site including wiring harness schematics so you can build your own aux harness. He also carries some pretty exotic lighting with some price tags to match.
One thing that has suprised me, anybody else notice how hot the competetion seems to be getting on aftermarket front bumpers, prices are pretty competetive as are features, wonder who the first one will be that offers cutouts for recessed fogs that go inside the bumper like for the hella 300 fogs which would get them out of the way and very solidly protect them.

I have a set-up similiar to Woody's. I'm running Hella H-4 lenses w. 90-130 (?) PIAA bulbs. I'm using a Jacobs relay/harness (which I believe is no longer available), but is required for the high-wattage. You can find similiar harnesses or make one if you have the skills.

This set-up turns night into day, incredible compared to the stock headlights.

It's addicting. Think I'll upgrade my bulbs to 100/170 at some point. Hope I don't melt the lens, I'll just have to drive faster when the highs are on. :scared:

RichP said:
One thing that has suprised me, anybody else notice how hot the competetion seems to be getting on aftermarket front bumpers, prices are pretty competetive as are features, wonder who the first one will be that offers cutouts for recessed fogs that go inside the bumper like for the hella 300 fogs which would get them out of the way and very solidly protect them.

Rich, I'll post photos of my ORGS front bumper w. fluted foglight holes using PIAA (blue projector bulb #?) foglights if someone will host it for me.

i have the hellas with the HID'S fabed in to them you lose the high beam but you don't need it best mod i have done .i have the same setup on both of my jeeps

RichP said:
I think alot of the reason that people run hella E codes vs IPF was the price, when I first got my XJ in Dec of 97 I started looking and CIBIE was outta sight price wise at $130ea from stern, IPF's were $90 A HOUSING w/no bulb at OK4wheel drive, Hellas were $93 a PAIR w/55/65 watt bulbs so I got hellas :D plus I had never heard of IPF before, they were a pretty new name here in the US. Susquehanna I like cause he has the stuff in stock and gets it to you pretty quick and he's been around a while. I needed a 450 lense and got it in 3 days, well packed. He also has alot of good info on his site including wiring harness schematics so you can build your own aux harness. He also carries some pretty exotic lighting with some price tags to match.
that would be nice, very nice.

Fogs have a purpose and that's close-in/wide-angle lighting (in poor weather) They also make great trail lights that won't scorch the hair of the Jeepers in front of you.

2Offroad Mark has a pair of Hella Micro DE fogs, (these fit a -+2.5" hole, approx 5" lg. around$125/pr... perfect 'hi-quality' setup for behind a bumper or air dam) He likes 'em lots IIRC.

i run some hella vision plus' with McCulloch HID's. Is anyone running projector lenses or researched it? i know they make some that are a direct replacement, but was curious if anyone is already doing it...

brandon

Anybody have part numbers for the Hella E codes to fit the XJ? I haven't been looking that hard but have not found a part number to call my wholesaler with.

Thanks
Jason

Hella part number 72206 are what is on my boxes, should be good provided they have not changed them. 200mm size.

Back