• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiper arm dents hood on '95...?

fizassist

NAXJA Member #1052
When I got my '95 XJ a couple months ago, I was happy to see that the hood goes almost vertical by putting the prop rod in the farthest back of the 3 holes in the bottom of the hood. Unfortunately, the base of the passenger side wiper arm dents the top edge of the hood when I do that. Is this normal? It's either very silly engineering or an aftermarket wiper.

BTW; I have the same problem even if I totally remove the wiper arm. The wiper arm mounting post still dents the edge of the hood.

Your hood goes all the way back to the third hole? Mine won't tilt that far back, regardless of the wiper arms

they would. besides, theres no reason to take it back that far unless maybe you are pulling the engine or something

small pederson said:
they would. besides, theres no reason to take it back that far unless maybe you are pulling the engine or something

I think it's great for generally digging under the hood. It lets in a lot more daylight and gives headroom. I'm willing to accept the dented hood in exchange, I just wonder why there's a 3rd hole if you're not supposed to use it.

My 98 does not go back that far, just tried it the other day, wish it did. Thats one of the features I like about our tj's, makes working inside brighter and with less painful head banging...

GOD!!!!I didnt knotice there was a dent in my hood until today!!! Looks like they did it on my jeep to. Maybe you can just take of the wiper arm?

Mine doesn't go that far either. My Sami did and that was great fun...just lay it up on the windshield. I don't think the XJ hood was ever meant to do that though, gotta be some weird little occurrence on certain Jeeps...Every vehicle I've owned has had multiple holes under the hood for no apparent reason. Maybe its for weight savings? :D

I've gotta admit that I always went to what turns out to be the second hole on the hood. Asked my mom to lend me a hand one time while I was underneath holding the tranny pan and she lifted the hood and put the rod in the first hole. Later on, it was about the time that my bald scalp scraped across the underhood that I realized the hood wasn't as high up. That's when I really checked out all three holes to see if I could open the hood that far - the hinges only let it go as far as the first two.

For a non-dented hood try this. Between holes 2 and 3 there is an elongated hole. Enlarge the lower (toward hinge) end of this hole sideways (toward engine) until the prop fits in easily. Now screw a little metal plate just above the newly widened part of the slot. You now have a prop hole at just about the maximum height that allows you to get the prop in and out without denting the hood.

my 99 had that same crease/dent when i got it... and as a mater of fact i have seen 2 other newer style with the same thing... although i never tried to re-enact the mishap i assumed it would go to the 3rd hole.. guess i have to find out tommorow now...

bzdel2441 said:
GOD!!!!I didnt knotice there was a dent in my hood until today!!! Looks like they did it on my jeep to. Maybe you can just take of the wiper arm?

No dice; even if I take the arm off, the mounting stud for the arm hits the hood.

Matthew Currie said:
For a non-dented hood try this. Between holes 2 and 3 there is an elongated hole. Enlarge the lower (toward hinge) end of this hole sideways (toward engine) until the prop fits in easily. Now screw a little metal plate just above the newly widened part of the slot. You now have a prop hole at just about the maximum height that allows you to get the prop in and out without denting the hood.

[reaches for Dremel] Thanks; I'll give this a shot.

Back