• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much is too much?

jeepguy97

NAXJA Forum User
I just changed my gear lube last week, but had to run through some water this weekend. What are the chances it needs changed again. How can I tell if water got in. I hate to do it again if its not absoultly necessary.

How much water, how deep, and how long were the axles under water?

If it was a quick in and out and not too deep, you're probably okay. Deeperr water and/or long immersion suggests checking it out.

Water mixed with gear oil turns to a nasty white-ish glop. The best way to look at it, of course, is to remove the diff covers and dump it. However, that's what you're hoping to avoid. For starters, pop the fill plugs and try to look inside with a penlight. Dip a finger in and see if what comes out looks like gear oil, or white sludge.

If there is any doubt about water in the axles, change the gear oil. The cost and time of gear oil change will seem small when you have to replace a ring and pinion, locker and all bearings in the rear end because of running it with water in it. Changing the gear lube takes what 15 min. and costs less than 15 dollars. just go ahead and do it.

dothedew24_7 said:
Its that easy for water to get into your gears?!?:scared: Whups- uhhh I'll be right back I have some diff cover to pull...
Well it all depends: how well does your vent tube seal to the axle (I looked at mine and my old one was cracked all over). How well do your seals work?
Junkxj makes a good point: diff oil is relatively inexpensive and doing the oil replacement doesn't take that long. Especially if you take it all in the perspective of rebuilding an axle.

About two or three minutes in 2ft of water. The Gear oil isn't white but it seems runny. I checked it when it was hot though so i figured that was the problem. It definatly wasn't white though.

jeepguy97 said:
About two or three minutes in 2ft of water. The Gear oil isn't white but it seems runny. I checked it when it was hot though so i figured that was the problem. It definatly wasn't white though.
Oil and water don't mix so if it looks thin that's not it. 2 or 3 minutes in 2ft of water shouldn't be an issue unless you've got a leak. What I forgot to mention before is that the rubber plugs in the rear differentials have been known to leak from time to time... and leaks work both ways.

Back