• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0L problem

lobsterdmb

Just a Lobster Minion
NAXJA Member
Ok, last friday my gas tank got really low and the jeep sputtered a little. I filled it up and ever since then it misfires after driving for a few minutes and then sometimes the RPM goes to zero and it seems to get no fuel. As soon as I hit the gas it jumps up as long as I do it right away. If not it cuts out. I just replaced the fuel filter and it didn't seem to help. This is a 1996 4.0L HO w/ auto and NP231.

John

lobsterdmb said:
Ok, last friday my gas tank got really low and the jeep sputtered a little. I filled it up and ever since then it misfires after driving for a few minutes and then sometimes the RPM goes to zero and it seems to get no fuel. As soon as I hit the gas it jumps up as long as I do it right away. If not it cuts out. I just replaced the fuel filter and it didn't seem to help. This is a 1996 4.0L HO w/ auto and NP231.

John

Check your fuel pressure. If it is dropping out you may have damaged the pump, or plugged the screen in the tank.

Rev

Funny thing, mine has been doing that too, and got really nasty this morning, stalling on hard left turns. I checked everything, and couldn't find a problem, so I'm guessing it's water or crud in the tank. It got better after a while. I threw in a couple of bottles of drygas anyway, and am waiting to see if it helps.

If you ran the tank low enough to sputter you may have air in the fuel rail. There should be a schrader valve on the rail itself. There is probably a better way to do this but I have always turned the ignition to on( so the pump will run) take the cap off the valve and as you cover it with a rag press the valve with a small screw driver. Air should sputter out. It may take a couple times but that should solve the problem.
Make sure you use a rag or gas will go everywhere.
Good luck.

You can try bleeding the fuel rail, but It sounds like you got crud in your tank and it's prob plugging up your sock. (The cloth filter on the pump pickup.)
Gas floats on water (like oil).
Pulling the pump assembly isn't too bad on an XJ, atleast you don't have to pull the tank. Unless you're going to clean out the tank...I would recommend that.
But check the easy and obvious first.
Good luck to you, and be extra careful around gasoline.

lawdog said:
If you ran the tank low enough to sputter you may have air in the fuel rail. There should be a schrader valve on the rail itself. There is probably a better way to do this but I have always turned the ignition to on (so the pump will run) take the cap off the valve and as you cover it with a rag press the valve with a small screw driver. Air should sputter out. It may take a couple times but that should solve the problem.
Make sure you use a rag or gas will go everywhere.
Good luck.

If you've got enough gas in the tank, there shouldn't be any air in the fuel rail.
The most likely problem is either that the fuel pump sock has become clogged up with crud or that the fuel pump itself was damaged. The pump needs fuel to keep it cool and if you run the tank too low, you risk frying the pump. That may be what's happened here.

Back