• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel filters

cdnxj

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my fuel filter... Looks like it hasn't been done EVER! I did a quick search, but didn't find the answer I was looking for. What's best OEM or after market?

Thanx Marty

'91 XJ 4x4, 2 dr, 5-spd 230,500 km and counting.

aftermarket filters like fram or wix usually exceed OEM standards.

don't waste your money at the dealer

I have purchased fuel filters for my 88 XJ and used the Purolator and NAPA brand filters. I change it every 30,000 miles so any filter should work well being changed that often.

I also change the fuel hose while I am that far into it. My 88 XJ uses 5/16 and 3/8 hose. Make sure you buy "fuel injection" fuel line not "carborator" fuel line. The carborator line over time will develop cracks, don't ask me how I know this!!! I'll just say the parts guy was not listening 4 years ago when I purchased it at NAPA. The time I made sure it was fuel injection hose, it is rated for 200 or 300 PSI.

now for an elementary question... where is the fuel filter located on an xj?

If you have it, you'll find it on the driver's side, just forward of the fuel tank. It's about the size of a soda can.

As I recall, OBD-II (1996-up) changed to a non-user-serviceable fuel filter, which is located at the pump inlet in the tank. I don't have a lot of faith in non-serviceable parts, so I'd be tempted to change the thing at intervals anyhow if I could.

I tend to prefer WIX filters.

Oh - another critical difference between carburettor hose and fuel injection hose is working pressure - the typical carburettor is fed with about 2-5psi of fluid pressure, most fuel injection systems will use anywhere from 25-70# (the typical XJ uses a pressure differential across the injector of 39#.) As has been said, make sure to use fuel injection hose if you change the lines (which you should do after 10 years, I think.)

5-90

Back