• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

100% Grand brake system

jammerjamesharmon

NAXJA Forum User
I've had the WJ knuckles, rotors, calipers. steering linkage, and ZJ rear disk for a while now. Finally completed the entire brake system with the WJ master cylinder and booster, proprotional valve modification and Wilwood adjustable proprotional valve.

Very happy with this set-up...........

james
www.geocities.com/jammerjamesharmon

MasterCylinder.jpg

Last edited:
How do you have the Wilwood valve plumbed? Mine is in the mail and I was under the impression that most just plumb it in-line with the rear brakes, is that what you have done?

Ary

Safari Ary said:
How do you have the Wilwood valve plumbed? Mine is in the mail and I was under the impression that most just plumb it in-line with the rear brakes, is that what you have done?

Ary
Roger, 10 4

You need to do the proprotional valve mod also or you will be double proprotionaled ???????????

Check out here if you don't know already:

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/brakes/xj_wjbrakes03/valve/index.htm

I already removed the o-ring, so now I just plumb the adjustable prop valve in with the rear brakeline?(front line coming out of the MC I know)

Also, I am experience rear brake lockup and I can push the pedal all the way to the floor and the fronts don't lock up. I had been under the impression that the adjustable prop valve in the rear brakeline would fix this. Now I'm not so sure the front brakes will lock up.(I realize that locking up brakes isn't the most effective means of stopping, but I believe it to be a good measure of potential stopping power). I guess I'll plumb it in and see. I still need to tweak my pushrod a little for the Vette MC I have installed.

Ary

Safari Ary said:
I already removed the o-ring, so now I just plumb the adjustable prop valve in with the rear brakeline?(front line coming out of the MC I know)

That is right, out of the factory proprotional valve the line going to the rear brakes is where the adjustable valve goes.

A proprotional valve is "ONLY" to "DECREASE" braking pressure/power to the rear under extreame braking pressure. Rear wheels need to turn so it will track straight. It will do nothing for the front, it is only for the rear to................decrease. The front, that is another problem.

Your floor should never be a stop for the petal. It should stop on its own. If you have vette master cylinder and all your binder hardware is stock, I don't believe this will buy you much. Those binders can only do so much, no mater what is pushing them.

Just what have you done beside the vette MC ?

Last edited:
Ary, what pads do you have? I was able to bottom my pedal out on two different sets of pads. What happens when the get hot? can you still bottom them out? Different compounds act in different ways, so maybe a change in the pad would help.

Also, you could always just throw a ZJ prop valve in place of the Wilwood valve, which is a better idea. The Wilwood prop valve will always limit the rear brakes, where the ZJ prop valve will limit the rears only on hard braking. Other wise it is 50/50, but the Wilwood valve would change it, making the rears not as effective.

Anyways, I like the full WJ system. Did you do it in stages (i.e. rotors + calipers + steering, than the WJ master cylinder and booster)? I just want to know if teh booster and master cylinder made and real difference. Did you have to modify anything to get the booster to mate with the fire wall and with the peadal rod?

-Chris

Talyn said:
Ary, what pads do you have? I was able to bottom my pedal out on two different sets of pads. What happens when the get hot? can you still bottom them out? Different compounds act in different ways, so maybe a change in the pad would help.

Also, you could always just throw a ZJ prop valve in place of the Wilwood valve, which is a better idea. The Wilwood prop valve will always limit the rear brakes, where the ZJ prop valve will limit the rears only on hard braking. Other wise it is 50/50, but the Wilwood valve would change it, making the rears not as effective.

Anyways, I like the full WJ system. Did you do it in stages (i.e. rotors + calipers + steering, than the WJ master cylinder and booster)? I just want to know if teh booster and master cylinder made and real difference. Did you have to modify anything to get the booster to mate with the fire wall and with the peadal rod?

-Chris

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE BESIDE THE VETTE MC?

Please read the above for answers to most of your questions.

Pads have nothing to do with the petal hitting the floor

My pads are stock WJ

Again check the link for the article on booster/mc install for answers.......

I've got half-ton Chevy brakes up front and small GM calipers(caddy calipers w/o the e-brake) in the rear.

Ary

Back