• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Distribution Center

djinn

NAXJA Member #820
Bear with me here - while I start out talking about a modification, the question I have is really OEM Tech :) I installed Hella E-code headlights and a set of Bosch foglights on my '96 XJ. I built a wiring harness for the headlights in order to bypass the wimpy stock headlight wiring (I used 12 gauge wires and relays for the headlight circuit), and I used the DC foglight wiring kit for the fogs. I got it all hooked up and working fine, then started poking around under the hood. I noticed that the Power Distribution Center had extra holes for the big fuses and relays (but no connectors behind them). Thinking to make my wiring look as stock as possible, I went to the local Pick-n-Pull and disassembled a couple of PDCs for the relays and wiring pigtails. I got it all installed and hooked up (works perfectly, and looks like it came that way from the factory), but while working on the PDC I noticed that the 125 amp main fuse was missing. This is the fuse that goes inline between the battery and the alternator, and is mounted on the outside front of the PDC. Hmm, I think to myself, it looks like the previous owner must have blown the fuse and removed it, and just bolted the wires from the battery to the alternator together on one of the studs in front of the PDC (the other stud was missing). So, sez I, I'll just go back to the Pick-n-Pull, get the mounting hardware, and put the fuse back in. No such luck - every single XJ that I looked at in the boneyard (a couple of late '80s, 2 '96s, and a late '90s) did not have this fuse (and, it appears that they NEVER had this fuse!). Every single XJ there had the alternator wire bolted directly to the battery wire on the front of the PDC. The wiring diagrans in the FSM show this fuse as being there. So (finally!) to my question: Does anybody's XJ have this fuse? It looks like DC decided to save a couple of bucks on each XJ and delete the fuse, but not change the wiring diagrams.

my 96 does NOT have that fuse for the alternator...instead it came with a "fuseable link" in line from the alternator to the stud onthe front of the PDC.

while doing a total wire upgrade to my jeeps electrical system (3/0 grounds and 2/0 + connections), I used a a 4 ga. wire from the alternator to PDC, and i removed and OEM wire and fuse, and installed an in line 100 amp bus fuse and holder

works great
better volts on the dash gauge too

CaptTrev

Back