• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'91 XJ Exhaust recommendations

gw204

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday I became an XJ owner once again. I picked up a '91 4x4 with the 4.0, AW4, 8.25, factory tow package, factory skids, etc. with 192K for $600. She runs very strong given the mileage. Now, I've just gotta get it to pass inspection. :cheers:

The first item on my repair list is the exhaust system. The current system was put on only two years ago by an "exhaust shop" and it now toasted. The muffler and tailpipe gotta go and I'm not yet sure about the cat and front pipe.

I realize it won't make the kind of power it did when it was new without tearing into the motor, so I am wondering if an cat-back system is worth installing on this rig. I can get a muffler from Autozone for less than $20 and the tailpipe from Quadratec or Autozone for under $20 as well. However, I also read recently good reviews of the Dynomax Super-Turbo system on a high mileage XJ in 4 Wheel & Offroad. At only $90 from Summit, it wouldn't break the bank either.

If the cat is shot, I'll get a high-flow universal fit Carsound.

If the front pipe is shot, I'll get that from either Autozone or Quadratec.

What would you all recommend. I plan to keep this XJ for a very long time. Won't make the same mistake I did with my '88 by letting it go. :bawl: Does anyone have any direct experience with the Dynomax systems?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Brian

Back