• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog light relay wiring

casm

NAXJA Forum User
While installing the Cobra 75WX in my 2001 Sport, I had the switch panel that houses the lighter sockets, rear wiper, defroster, and fog light switch pulled out. I don't currently have fog lights installed, so that switch is blank. However, I noticed that what appears to be the wiring to actuate the fog light relay (complete with plug) terminates into a dummy connector at the back of the switch blank.

Am I correct in my assumption that this is indeed what these wires are, and if so, where do they ultimately run to at present? I plan on installing driving lights eventually, and would like to use the stock switch and relay wiring if at all possible. Knowing this would be a big help in getting them plumbed in.

That plug is hot too, plug a fog light switch in and it will light up the little pilot lamp in there but it won't do anything else, if you pop the cover off your PDC you will see the two sockets where the fog light relays go, only problem is there are no sockets in there, just the holes. You need the fog light wiring kit and that kit does not use the plug thats in there now, it has a new one that wires into the harness. www.jeepsareus.com has them.

On my 87, the wires terminated in the harness that goes to the front lights, which passes down below the air cleaner box. They were just dead-ended in that harness, and I spliced in for a relay and added the rest of the wires. That was a long time ago, but as I recall there was no hot lead for the power to the lights themselves, only leads for the actuating side of the relay, so I had to run a power lead to the fuse block somewhere. But the lights worked with the switch, and went off with the high beams, as they're supposed to.

edit: I forgot that there's that extra box of relays and fuses in later models, so I guess it's going to be very different. Oh well. :doh:

Last edited:
RichP said:
That plug is hot too, plug a fog light switch in and it will light up the little pilot lamp in there but it won't do anything else, if you pop the cover off your PDC you will see the two sockets where the fog light relays go, only problem is there are no sockets in there, just the holes. You need the fog light wiring kit and that kit does not use the plug thats in there now, it has a new one that wires into the harness. www.jeepsareus.com has them.

Yup, saw the kit on jeepsareus and was hoping I could get by with just the switch instead of the whole shebang. Oh well. Just to clarify: even with the wiring kit, I still need to replace the existing wiring between the switch and the PDC, correct?

just happened to be reading while i'm waiting on replies...

First, www.jeepsareus.com are great, i've bought a few things from them - for the foglight. If you go this route, make sure that the set-up you get has terminates at the fuze box and has the blocks needed to install into it.

If your Jeep isn't wired from the factory for fog lights, you may not have the fuze blocks in your under the hood fuze box. this was my experience any way.

i ran three 100 watt flog lamps from the oem location, using the the oem switch, the www.jeepsareus.com pigtail and spliced into the 12 volt output behind the bezel. i'm no electrical engineer or jeep mechanic, so maybe someone on here has better suggestions.

rex

casm said:
Yup, saw the kit on jeepsareus and was hoping I could get by with just the switch instead of the whole shebang. Oh well. Just to clarify: even with the wiring kit, I still need to replace the existing wiring between the switch and the PDC, correct?

With the wiring kit the PDC does not come into the picture at all, once the kit is installed you will have ONE yellow wire that you will need to run thru the firewall into the engine compartment, that wire is the trigger for 'A' relay of your choice. You can either use the light gauge wiring and relay thats part of the kit to wire in a set of fogs or if you buy a set of say Hella fogs you can use that yellow wire to trigger the hella fused relay [the Hella relay has a bayonet fuse attached to it], the Hella wiring is also a heavier gauge wire which will allow more/better current flow which in turn will allow the lights to be their correct brightness.
When I ran my yellow wire thru the firewall I used an small ice pick to work a hole thru the main cable cluster and was careful not to nick any wires in that bunch, works well and the smaller hole allows the rubber boot to literally seal the wiring, was tough working the larger wire thru though. I still have half the kit sitting on a shelf with the engine compartment/light cable part of the kit unused. The lights started out as hella 550's and are now 450's, the 450's are smaller and dont hit quite so many things off road, I used to bury the 550's every once in a while in dirt banks while backing and filling in corners on trails meant for shorty jeeps :D

Back