• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody running a Detroit Electrac??

RockRod

NAXJA Forum User
Pros/cons. It is down to that or ARB for my 8.8???
I'm in ICE country, its a have too.

Anyone???

i have the arb's F&R and i am very happy w/my experience so far. i have had them for a little over a year now, always lock in and the full spool kicks butt. you just have to find a good location for the air compressor. i put mine under the hood on the right side, bolted through the wheelwell.

I have one in my front 44. The first one didn't work for me for whatever reason....but Detroit was cool about getting me a new one and I've never had problems with it since then.

I'm happy with it for sure....but I think I would probably just go with a standard detroit next time for cost and reliability.

well if your in ICE country i would go for the electrac becuase it is a limited slip, and locks as opposed to being fully open or full lock in the arb. In ICE i would not want to drive a locked vehicle. I like it also becuase atleast in theroy its more reliable since there is no leaks. The con is the actuator is mounted up top near the top of the axle and pumpkin. Not easy to knock off, you can fab up a simple tube shield for it. This is what i am buying when i have a month off in january and i am droping in an 8.8 and going nutz with my '95xj fiiiiiiiinally getting it lifted. And functionally the pro of the limited slip versus open in the ARB is just to cool to go the ARB route.

the auburn ected is another option for selectable lockers. i've only heard from one person who runs one, but he loves his.

After further investigation, one is not Avalable for 8.8....
But, Randy's and Reider recommended the new kid on the block. Eaton....
They claim it as strong as the others, inexpensive, and open diff when needed.
Anybody heard of this one in use???? :NAXJA:

RockRod said:
But, Randy's and Reider recommended the new kid on the block. Eaton....
They claim it as strong as the others, inexpensive, and open diff when needed.
Anybody heard of this one in use???? :NAXJA:

It's in use in some UROC competition vehicles I know of and is holding up quite well. I'd do the Eaton over the Electrac everyday. I like the design better.

I've been very happy with my ARBs in my D30/D44. It does snow in Utah, and I loved the options that gave me.

RockRod said:
Pros/cons. It is down to that or ARB for my 8.8???
I'm in ICE country, its a have too.

Look into the Eaton E-Locker. 8.8" unit is available. Electracs blow. External actuator is a "mickey mouse" design. Eaton got it right with the E-Locker

check out drive train superstores they gave me price of well under 600 on the eaton

RockRod said:

i read an article online recently about the detroit electrac, I believe it was in JP magazine, and in that article they stated that there was a model in the works for the 8.8 along with one for the AMC 20, the Dana 30 and 35, and I think one other application. I'd contact Tractec to find out more info on that.

Last edited:
Back