• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Misc. Problems with my 95'

St3mpy

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a 95 XJ (3 weeks ago) And have pretty much fixed the problems with it, accept for a couple/ new ones. First, my aux. fan wasn't coming on at all. I plugged it directly to the battery, and it span. But, it was wobally (sp.?) and looked like it was going to pop off at any moment. Should I turn the a/c and put a currnet tester to it (such as one of those LED ones?) and see if I get anything? Or would that be my death wish? Can I fix the fan? Secondly, my cabin fan recentnly started clunking whenever I turn it on. Just started one day, no warning (well, a squeak every now and then). Last, not really a problem, but I checked the antena wireing behind the passenger side kick panel, and sure enough it had come undone. The connector had a spring on it though, and whenever I tried to plug it in, it kept poping off, so I took the spring off. :dunno: What's the spring for? And, that's it. :wave1: Thanks.

The electric condensor fan only comes on when the engine coolant temperature reaches approximately 217*. There is a sensor that screws into the thermostat housing that controls when the fan will come on.
IF the fan is wobbling as you describe.... then it is time to replace it... You can either purchase a used one from the Junk Yard or purchase a new one from the dealer...
To replace the fan... is easy.... Disconnect the harness plug for the fan, remove (2) 10 mm bolts that hold it to the radiator crossmember and slip it out.... Install in reverse order.....

As far as the clunking interior fan is concerned, it's probably worn out, or at least has dry bearings. Not an easy one to repair, but easy to take out and replace. It's accessed from the engine compartment, passenger side - three bolts and a plug connector, and out it comes. No proovision for bearing lube, but you might be able to sneak something in if you're creative. Be extra careful if you try to remove the fan from the motor shaft, because it will break easily.

St3mpy said:
So why would the fan not come on at all? It should at least wobble like it does with a direct conection, right?

Check the relay in the power center (the black box aft of the battery), and fuses 11 and 15, also there. You can swap with another relay to test it. If the relay itself is not bad, you can use a voltmeter or test light to test at the relay socket to see if the fault is before or after that point.

I'm not sure just how the pins are marked in the center or on the relay, but the schematic shows pin 5 as getting the negative signal from the PCM to actuate the relay. Pin 1 is the positive supply for the relay actuation, via fuse 11. Pin 2 is the positive supply for the fan from fuse 15, and pin 1 is the switched output to the fan.

What this means is that with the relay out, you should always have 12 volts + at pin 2 and pin 1. When the fan is called for, pin 5 will be grounded via the PCM.

Back