• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's w/ 8.25 & D30 Breakage??????

Los11

NAXJA Forum User
Whats ups guys I know this has been talked about plenty but just wanted to take like another poll from you guys cause I am building my XJ as we speak, I got 33Mtr's but I am going for 35's, I just want them you know, My question is what does guys think of the 8.25 I was planing on doing 4.56's with a detroit and I have yukon alloys axles in it.. The D30 I am doing 4.56's and a lockright just wondering cause I have never wheeled this setup on an XJ what you guys experience is , do you guys think alot of breakage will happen?? I am pretty light on the foot... I kind have to run the D30 for know cause I dont have th cash to swap let say a 44, but as far as the rear I am wondering if I should swap a D44 in?? I always thought the upgrade of a 44 from an 8.25 wasnt that big I know from a 35c hell yeah but I personally have never seen anybody break the 8.25.. well thanks guys I just want to make sure before I go spending money on this you know...

Los11 said:
Whats ups guys I know this has been talked about plenty but just wanted to take like another poll from you guys cause I am building my XJ as we speak, I got 33Mtr's but I am going for 35's, I just want them you know, My question is what does guys think of the 8.25 I was planing on doing 4.56's with a detroit and I have yukon alloys axles in it.. The D30 I am doing 4.56's and a lockright just wondering cause I have never wheeled this setup on an XJ what you guys experience is , do you guys think alot of breakage will happen?? I am pretty light on the foot... I kind have to run the D30 for know cause I dont have th cash to swap let say a 44, but as far as the rear I am wondering if I should swap a D44 in?? I always thought the upgrade of a 44 from an 8.25 wasnt that big I know from a 35c hell yeah but I personally have never seen anybody break the 8.25.. well thanks guys I just want to make sure before I go spending money on this you know...
I which 8.25 do you have? 27 or 29 spline? Also I would go with 4.88's w/ 35's. I have 4.88's w/ 33's and I am glad I didn't go with 4.56's. I did the 44 swap w/ Detroit Locker and superior shafts and I have not broke anything yet.

BornAgainXJer said:
I which 8.25 do you have? 27 or 29 spline? Also I would go with 4.88's w/ 35's. I have 4.88's w/ 33's and I am glad I didn't go with 4.56's. I did the 44 swap w/ Detroit Locker and superior shafts and I have not broke anything yet.
4.56s are the deepest gears that can go on an 8.25.

29 spline 8.25 in the rear, yeah 4.56's are the lowest I can go on the 8.25, You guys think 4.56's arent low enough....

well i was gonna buy a 44 from this guy with 4.56's and a OX locker its 58 wms and it was on a YJ so I probably just have to move the spring pads, whatg do you think is that WMS right for an XJ

Will I need wheels spacers in the rear to bring it out to 60 wms like kets say 2 inch wheelm spacers?? also what do yuo think of the OX locker? Thanks

Los11 said:
Will I need wheels spacers in the rear to bring it out to 60 wms like kets say 2 inch wheelm spacers?? also what do yuo think of the OX locker? Thanks
I wouldn't worry about one inch per side. If anything, it'll give you a better turning radius.

Ox is strong, but ARB has more rep and is tried and true.

Yeah I'm gonna look for a rear Xj 44 this weekend but if i cant find one, screw it I will run the 8.25, Like I said I said i think its a stout axle and I think 4.56's will be plenty with the auto this is my DD aswell 4.88's might be a little to low..

Los11 said:
Yeah I'm gonna look for a rear Xj 44 this weekend but if i cant find one, screw it I will run the 8.25, Like I said I said i think its a stout axle and I think 4.56's will be plenty with the auto this is my DD aswell 4.88's might be a little to low..
Mine is a DD and I am running 4.88's and 33's and I wouldn't even think about going to 4.56's. I am at about 2500 rpms at 70 mph on the highway. Also got about 19 - 20 mpg going 70 to moab labor day weekend.

Here is a link to one for sale in ohio.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34327&highlight=d44

Here is another on ebay in MA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7920536382&category=46104

Last edited:
As always, how it will hold up depends on the type of wheeling you do. The 29 spline 8.25's with alloy axles seem to be holding up well with 35's. You have to watch for wedgies (tires sqeezed between rocks), but you have to do that with any axle. The D30 will also live with 35's, but with some money spent on it. Minimum is 760x axle joints that are snap ringed or have the caps welded. Even then, the Spicer yokes give way, so be very easy on anything where the front gets in a bind or has to climb, and be sure to climb with the tires pointing straight ahead and be VERY easy on the gas when backing up. We see 297x/760x axle joints with either snap rings or welded caps and Spicer axles break all the time with 33's in the rocks, the soft stock axle yokes just aren't up to much abuse. If Warn or Superior chromo axles are used, snap ringed 760's will hold up with careful driving.

4.88's or even 5.13's are the best gears for 35's, but you can live with 4.56's. You'll just have to downshift more on the highway. Since you already have alloy shafts in your 8.25, I don't think going to a D44 with stock shafts will be an upgrade, considering both shaft strength and pinion strength. The best reason to go to the D44 would be to get better gearing, but you should factor in the cost of alloy shafts for the 44.

Remember, when you go to 35's your steering and brakes also become less adequate. Stock steering just won't cut it with 35's unless you rarely get it on the trail.

Have fun,

I am sure this has been covered in past posts, but what is the cheapest place to get alloy shafts for the 8.25?

Back