• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trackbar source??

gr8tires

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, :helpme:
Please give me some sources for purchasing a trackbar(at a good price) for my 88 MJ 4x2. I'm in N.C..
Also
The manual and past Forum posts lead me to believe this may not be too bad of a job for a weekend mechanic like myself. Where do I place the jack stands? under the frame, with the tires off the ground? or under the balljoints to secure the suspension? Any other comments/hints???
Thanks in advance.

You can do it with the vehicle on the ground. You disconnect the axle end first then the end connected to the frame. Make sure you hae the manual to find the right torques. The track bar just keeps the axle centered under the vehicle.

You install the frame end, torque to the right value and install the cotter pin. Once that done then you connect it to the frame end and torque the bolt to the right value. This is suspension work so use the right values. I think the axle end bolt on my 88 XJ was 60 or 70 ft lbs, it a very high strength bolt.

You may need a 3 lb hammer and a pickel fork to get the track bar out of the frame bracket. I purchased my track bar at my locak car quest parts store. It was a Moog assembly, the new one came with a grease fitting for the fram end.

Best price by far is Quadratec. I think they get $49 for a track bar. They are selling Crown track bars, and their price is lower than the discounted price I get from my local Crown supplier.

As Martin indicated, you can do this on the ground, and it shouldn't take more than half an hour. You will need a tie rod end brealer (a.k.a. "pickle fork") for the upper (frame) end.

check with Tar Heel on N Tryon 704-598-1000 or Andy at his new shop on South blvd, just south of Clanton rd and see if they have any thing. may cost a little more but add shipping and it's the same.

phred said:
Tellico4x4 lists a stock track bar for 33.98
Go to http://www.tellico4x4.com/catalog/
and search for 52003918.

Any opinions on the quality of Omix-Ada parts?
The only XJ track bar I see on this site is listed for 1991 and newer. Their office is closed at the moment (Saturday afternoon). Does anyone know if they have one for the '84 thru '90 XJ?

Eagle said:
The only XJ track bar I see on this site is listed for 1991 and newer. Their office is closed at the moment (Saturday afternoon). Does anyone know if they have one for the '84 thru '90 XJ?

Go to the web site, http://www.tellico4x4.com/catalog/,
and enter the track bar part number (52003918) in the search box
on the right side of the screen. The 84-90 track bar will pop right up.

Costs for the bar are:

Sub-Total: $33.95
Table Rate (Standard Ground Shipping): $11.95
Total: $45.90

If you do a google search on the part number, 52003918, you'll find a range of prices; this appears to be the best.

phred said:
Go to the web site, http://www.tellico4x4.com/catalog/,
and enter the track bar part number (52003918) in the search box
on the right side of the screen. The 84-90 track bar will pop right up.

Costs for the bar are:

Sub-Total: $33.95
Table Rate (Standard Ground Shipping): $11.95
Total: $45.90

If you do a google search on the part number, 52003918, you'll find a range of prices; this appears to be the best.
Thanks.

That price with shipping is better than Quadratec's price before shipping. Dunno about quality but I guess it's worth a try.

i just replaced my stock track-bar, want my stock one? off a 92 4.0L?PM me...

Back