• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone running JohnnyJoints as UCA axle bushings

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I just picked up a pair of Currie LCAs that have JJs at both ends. Also have a set of RE superflex adjustable UCAs that have their SF joint at the frame end. These are going on my 88XJ daily-driver (along with 3" coils and 'maybe' a 1" spacer) which will see much more road use than trail use, but will see some of the latter.

Would it be wiser to get the currie JJs for the UCA axle bushings or just replace with the stock rubber ones?

Currie sells a JJ kit with a replacement axle bracket (I'm assuming this replaces the sheetmetal one on the non-disco 30s) mine is a disco-type that has the pass.side bracket cast into the tube... I am pretty sure one could get the JJs minus their bracket, but not 100%.

I can put up with more vibes and road noise if it's gaining strength, durability, and capability. Who has run Johnny Joints on all 4 ends of the control arms on a mild lift, and what were your experiences?

At 4", with those arms and stock uppers, you saw how well it worked.
I would replace them with stock, seriously.
You are already ahead of the game with the adj. uppers.
They do not need JJs on both ends due to the arc of travel during articulation.
YMMV.

Tippin' one for ya.
Arriba.

I've run JJ's on all four ends before, with short arms and with long arms. had no problems, you will start getting clunks after a while but then you put in new bushings for next to nothing and all is well again, the better you keep them geased the better they last.

the axle end of the upper arms, the jonny was welded to the axle housing when I put in the first 44 so I started with a set of adjustable curry TJ arms, cause they didn't make them for the xj back then, when I made my long arms, I just cut the one end off the one joint and threaded a longer tube, sleaved that tube and welded it back on the joint it was cut off of, the other end being the adjustable end had a bolt welded to it, it just threaded in the end of the new tube. then I ran a new upper arm off the center of those arms to the upper mounts similar to RE long arm kit. anyway, the joints work fine, you may have a little more road noise from the JJ vs stock rubber, but running swampers at the time, and couldn't tell the diffrence.

Last edited:
Back