• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air tank

87CherokeeChief

NAXJA Forum User
i saw a 7 gallon tank for 20 buckeroos at wally world. what do you think of filling it with a compressor at home and then just strappin that sucker in the back of the jeep and using it to air back up? any problems i might have? and do you think ill be able to air up 4 31x10.50 from around 15-30ish?

It depends on how much air you plan on pumping into it. Lets say you pressurized it to 150 psi... it would probably only be enough to fill 1 tire completely. Thats just a guess though.

87CherokeeChief said:
allright well i guess ill scratch that idea....hmmm how about C02 in a 5 gal tank? that can fill more tires up right??
with a full 5#CO2 tank, you'll probably fill 20 31" tires from 15 to 30 at least.

The 7gal tank is compressed air. The 5gal CO2 is liquid CO2, which expands x-fold when it boils, allowing you to fill up many many more tires...

cherokee Wheeler10 said:
K (Stupid Newbie) what is the difference between an 7gal air tank and a 5gal co2 tank?
The co2 is much higher pressure (around 1500psi IIRC) and it's liquid until it's used which makes it expand. Was that understandable? I'm not sure if I understand my own post.

ok so how much do you think it would cost to fill a 5 gallon tank with CO2 and also, if the tanks capacity for psi is 1800 then every fitting needs to be able to handle that too right? so where would i find hoses, tire valve things and that sorta thing that can handle all that?

87CherokeeChief said:
ok so how much do you think it would cost to fill a 5 gallon tank with CO2 and also, if the tanks capacity for psi is 1800 then every fitting needs to be able to handle that too right? so where would i find hoses, tire valve things and that sorta thing that can handle all that?
www.ultimate-air.com

87CherokeeChief said:
wow that was fast thanks man! also, would i actually fill it up more than 1000psi?? or would i do like 200 or around there?
I take mine to a fire extenguisher shop to get it filled, but I don't see what pressure they fill it to. All I know is that when I weigh it it is the right weight. I just know from knowing that CO2 tanks are pressurized that much.

You will have full pressure till you run out of liquid.

cherokee Wheeler10 said:
thats pretty sweet and theres no difference from straight air once in the tire?
No discernable difference. You can safely use it for air tools too, if you want to carry the extra weight.

Actually, there is a difference. CO2 doesn't expand and contract at the same rate as 'air' when temperatures change, and if I recall CO2 leaks out through the rubber at a slower rate than 'air' does. For basic usage, no there's really no difference.

Jim

With a 8 gallon tank aired to 125psi, I used to fill three of my 31x10.5-15 BFG MT's from 15psi to 28psi while filling the fourth tire with a cheap cigarette lighter powered pump.
The first tire would fill fast and drop the tank 25psi, the second fairly fast, and drop the tank another 30psi. The third tire would take a long time, for when full, the tank and it had almost equalized. Meanwhile, by the time the three were filled, the lighter pump had filled the fourth, and I'd be ready to go before my friends.
Then I got larger tires and had to build a OBA system!

The tanks are the same. The fittings will fit.

Yucca is right about those differences, as they are not DISCERNABLE.:D

RobertF said:
With a 8 gallon tank aired to 125psi, I used to fill three of my 31x10.5-15 BFG MT's from 15psi to 28psi while filling the fourth tire with a cheap cigarette lighter powered pump.
The first tire would fill fast and drop the tank 25psi, the second fairly fast, and drop the tank another 30psi. The third tire would take a long time, for when full, the tank and it had almost equalized. Meanwhile, by the time the three were filled, the lighter pump had filled the fourth, and I'd be ready to go before my friends.
Then I got larger tires and had to build a OBA system!
Never worked that good for me.

Okie Terry said:
The tanks are the same. The fittings will fit.

Yucca is right about those differences, as they are not DISCERNABLE.:D

now i just gotta be able to bring myself to shell out 120 bucks for a hose and fitting(only 16 so 120 is a decent amount of change...)

thanks for all your help guys especially okie :)

theres gotta be some record for how fast we got to 2 pages lol
thanks again

Brett

Back