• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump removal on '98

Burley

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so I have the gas tank partially dropped to get at the pump since it is directly on top of the tank. Now i can't get the darn thing out! It has this big white plastic ring around it that looks like it should rotate but I can't get the thing to budge. I tried taping it with a hammer and a brass punch, but no dice. I hate to use too much force and then break something. Am I even close at guessing how this thing comes out? My manual of course is for older XJ's. Can someone clue me in?

Thanks guys.

Burley

Well, after looking for a FSM on-line I found one for a 2000. Luckily it is a similar procedure for the '98. It says that I need a special tool to get the lock ring (the white ring) off. I think I can rig something up to do the trick, but at least now I know WHAT to do and how to get the thing out.

I love answering my own questions....

Burley

Back