• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle/driveshaft problem?

PWRDrill

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ is on 35's with 7.5" of lift. RE drop brackets, Adjustable RE HD track bar in the front. Stock front driveshaft.

When I'm climbing or going over "whoops" under power I feel a sharp clunk coming from the front end. I can feel it coming through my steering wheel as well as hear the noise. It feels like my axle is unloading sharply and then something is catching. I would guess it was my driveshaft except for the fact that when I go easy up a ledge my front end still unloads quite a bit so there doesn't seem to be any driveshaft binding.

This occurs in 2wd and 4wd.

My trackbar and bracket is tight, and everything else seems to be tight as well. It's impossible to duplicate unless I'm actually wheeling - hence my post.

Any ideas?

Thanks Guys,

Kevin

Last edited:
PWRDrill said:
My XJ is on 35's with 7.5" of lift. RE drop brackets, Adjustable RE HD track bar in the front. Stock front driveshaft.

When I'm climbing or going over "whoops" under power I feel a sharp clunk coming from the front end. I can feel it coming through my steering wheel as well as hear the noise. It feels like my axle is unloading sharply and then something is catching. I would guess it was my driveshaft except for the fact that when I go easy up a ledge my front end still unloads quite a bit so there doesn't seem to be any driveshaft binding.

This occurs in 2wd and 4wd.

My trackbar and bracket is tight, and everything else seems to be tight as well. It's impossible to duplicate unless I'm actually wheeling - hence my post.

Any ideas?

Thanks Guys,

Kevin

Get your axle into a full droop situation and then see how much slip is left in your driveshafts.
At that height, even with drop brackets, the axle swings back as it swings downward in its arc.
My stock front shaft is almost too long at 5".
YMMV

You may check to see if the right side coil is banging on the engine mount bolt that sits right behind it at the top of it. Mine does.

Back