• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intake/Exhaust Gasket Question

willy3

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 XJ 4.0 with a 99 intakemanifold. When I first installed the intake I just used the same gasket with silicone sealer as I did not take the exhaust manifold off. I am now going to put a header on and will get a new gasket. I noticed that there are different gasket part #s listed at Autozone and NAPA for 91 and 99. Which should I use or does it matter?

If i remember right the ports are a little different. At least they are between my 87 xj 4.0 non HO andmy sisters 91 yj 4.0 HO. BTW the gasket doesnt need any sealant on it.

Personally, I swear by permatex copper spray, as do many others. Much safer than silicone, won't degrade and seals imperfections.

Permatex CopperCote is the best way to go. You really have to be careful with silicones. Using many on the intake can kill your O2 sensors. Thats why you should always look for the Sensor Safe label on your sealers. Even the high temp silicones will fail on an exhaust.

I'll second Tom's CopperCote recommendation. There was just enough left in the can he lent me to coat my gasket, and so far (knock on wood) no leaks....of course with my luck I've just condemned it. :D

Back