• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions about Rough Country

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed that the Rough Country 6.5" X something lift is only $50 more than the RE 4.5". It looked pretty comprehensive. IIRC it even had an SYE/CV driveshaft, adj UCAs and adj LCAs, an adj track bar and some other stuff. I'll look into it more and post more info. I gotta find the ad or a webpage. The whole package was advertised at $995 in either 4Wheeler&Off-road or 4wdand Sport-Utility.

Oops, just realized I was still in OEM tech...

RC doesn't have a good reputation among most folks I know who have run it. Broken parts and weird fitment issues seem to be their primary problems, but that's enough for me to avoid it...

Found it for you. It does NOT include an SYE and Driveshaft. Straight from their website:
"6.5"
Kit includes front coil springs, front lower adjustable control arms, transfer case drop kit, front adjustable track bar, adjustable swaybar disconnects, power steering pitman arm, brake line relocating brackets, 4 Heckethorn 8000 series shocks, and rear springs & lift shackles.
NOTE: Must know whether rear axle is a Dana 35 (2 3/4" wide) or a Chrysler 8 1/4 (3" wide).
* Kit recommends slip-yoke eliminator kit with longer custom CV Driveshaft. * "
http://rough.roughcountry.com/RC Web/84-01 XJ Jeep.htm (about halfway down the page.)

As far as my opinion?
Seems to me that from what I've heard about them, I'd say they're good for someone that wants an XJ that "LOOKS" tough, but not for someone that will use it, or even drive it offroad. Atleast that's the opinion I have been able to formulate. Now I haven't ever installed one, or ridden in a rig with one, so it'll stay as a very easily changed opinion for me.

I'd use it for mild 4-wheeling. I don't have the cash for truly hard-core off-roading. Its my DD so I can't afford broken parts. I'd also use it for looks a little...yes I know, that's weak, but like I said my off-roading doesn't require 6.5" lift witf 35" tires...it'd sure look cool tho. And I could hit some of the harder stuff. How would this kit compare to an RE 4.5" with a 2" Rocky-Road BB? That'd be about 50$ more than the RC kit but I've heard all good bout the RE6130 4.5" lift. Thanks for the replies so far and for whoever moved it w/o flaming me...:D

i ahve their LCA's (fixed) and they are beefy, i like them

never used their coils or other stuff
have heard "rough" counfty to be "rough"

I run their front coils and I like them, they were really cheap. I like the ride of the coils, but they are a little stiff. My first lift was their 3" lift with a block and an AAL. That flexed good but my leafs were useless after a while and the front sagged an inch. If it's only 50 bucks difference, I would go with RE.

you cant beat RE get it and the RR BB and it will only be 50 more for a better product

Don't just add a BB onto a 4.5" lift, it doesn't work that way. Yes it will give you 6.5", but your control arm angles and everything else will be way off and it will ride like crap. If it worked well, RE would sell it that way. Just get the 4.5" lift and get some 33's. They'll still look good, ride better overall, and still be plenty capable for mild wheeling.

I bought the RC 3" with add-a-leaf. I went on real easy and the ride wasn't to rough at all...however both the AAL's broke completely through and the front had sagged quite a bit on the coils after only about 18 months...but it was real cheap and worked good for mild wheelin but I wouldn't buy them again.

I've had my Skyjacker 3-inch standard kit now for about 4 years, sagged from 4 inches to about 3.5 inches and has held steady at that. It came with full-length AAL's that I have wheeled hard and they have yet to have a problem. If I had to do it again, I'd give RE a try though, cause I ended up buying all of the extra stuff the RE kit includes anyways and the price savings disappeared.

I ran the 4.5" kit for about a year (with RC leaf packs). The ride was definately rough, but I added another 1.5 inches and a Teraflex LA kit. This greatly improved the ride. The lower RC arms are pretty tough though and the bend in them allows them to flex a bit more than straight ones.

I recentlyreplaced my 2 inch death spacer lift w RCs 3 inch coils and shorty AALs rides good w my pro comp shocks.Im from Tennessee so I liked the fact that it was made in Tennessee.They Stand behind their products.

I work @ a shop down in texas abd have had great experince with there new kits. A year ago I would of been on the same boat as the rest of yall but. after making a pitstop on my last vaction for a family reunion I have a diffrent opinion of them. There tech service was on cue and they seemed to know what they were talking about. The Ceo did admit that there rep has slipped in the past years but they are trying to come back with their new X series kits.
I have installed about 8 of them so far and havent had a problem yet. We just ordered the 6.5 w/ a sye and a d-shaft (double cardin) on our shop xj ( 92). I"ll let yall know how that one comes out. We did a 4.5 on a 94 xj 3 months ago after the guy broke his front trac bar jumping it...! AFter that he decided it was time to upgrade but couldn't afford a RE kit. He hasnt had a problem yet and hes not what I would call easy on the peddel he like it WFO. I planning on the same kit (6.5) on my 96 xj sport as soon as I get motor running again. The ride has gotten much better with the new series of kits truck we did last year with their kits will rattle ur Teeth.

Txjeepkid

I put a RC 4" with FULL LEAF PACKS on my Ford Ranger about 4.5 years ago. Rode a bit stiff for the first 6 mo's, but now rides fine. This truck is used primarily off-road (construction work and serious playing!!!) My 89 XJ has a Rough Country 3" with FULL LEAF PACKS with the 150 lb overload option. It was stiff for the first month, but is fine now I just hope it stays that way. This is a semi-DD and only does light off-roading when I go to cut firewood etc... Notice I ALWAYS use FULL LEAF PACKS due to the spring strength. The only time I would or have ever used AALs is as an overload spring. I would never use one to force a stock spring to do something it was not made to do.

I have RC 4.5 coils and a pair of RC used LCA's on 91 MJ. I like way it rides. It only has limted hiway mile and lots of off road miles. Thats what I built it for mainly. Flex is awesome and no sag at all. Been in there for a year or so. Put on a complete RC system on my 95 ZJ a couple monthes ago. The is much improved over worn out stock junk.
I have a customer in my shop that just installed a RE 3 inch in his 97 ZJ and he hates it. Drives awful down the street. Just my .02 worth is all.

I have no complaints on the 6.5 other than I need to buck up and buy the S.Y.E and Tom Woods Drive shaft. The kit has awsome flex, the ride was stiff at first, but all kits are untill the springs settle. Also you guys that say your coils are sagging, how much winching are you doing? I had the same problem with the 3" coils, but I was winching alot, because I was getting stuck alot with just the three inch kit (not enough lift to follow the big boys). You can't beat their customer service either. I destroyed a rear shock on a trail ride and they replaced it free of charge and had it to me within 2 days. So great kit, great price, great performance, and great company.

Back