• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trac-Lock

rws

NAXJA Forum User
Any easy way of checking to see if it still works? Costs $85 for the clutchs to rebuild it. Is it worth it?

There really actually is a factory recommended way of testing your trac loc.

With one rear wheel still on the ground, raise the other side and remove the wheel.

Then you'll need "special tool 6790", which is nothing more than a steel plate with some holes for the wheel studs, and a "1/2 inch drive connector" on it. You could probably build something similiar by using the plate, drilling the holes for the wheel studs, and welding an old 1/2" drive socket to attach your torque wrench to.

Once you've attached the "special tool" to the wheel studs, spin it with your torque wrench. If the rotating torque is less that 30 ft/lbs on either wheel, then you need to rebuild it....

Ivan

The shade tree version of that is -- chock the front wheels (both fore and aft), release the parking brake and put the tranny in neutral, then jack up one rear wheel and try to spin it by hand. If it spins, either you don't have Trac-Lok or it isn't working.

I had the trac lock in my '89 rebuilt and it was a world of difference. I never knew this LSD could be so aggressive, but it was. I sold that XJ so I can't say how long the rebuild will last.

You guys are so lame..

Put both back wheels in the dirt and floor it. Look at the skid mark(s).

Or preferably:

Put one back wheel in dirt and one in pavement and floor it. Enjoy results.

sweetjeep said:
You guys are so lame..

Put both back wheels in the dirt and floor it. Look at the skid mark(s).

Thats not an accurate test at all, my open 8.25 would spin both back tires if you floored it (only if you floored it). And yes I assure you it was an open 8.25 no ifs ands or buts about it.

Back