• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trouble w/ e-brake on rear disc conversion

bknudtsen

NAXJA Forum User
I just converted my rear brakes to discs. The only problem I am having is with the e-brake. I have '01 with a 8.25" rear end and used the Tera kit which is a combo of ZJ parts and Explorer parts. The end of the stock cable will not work with the arm for the e-brake. I read a couple of writeups, and some people just looped the cable back on itself and hooked it to the e-brake arm. I tried something similar using a fabbed bracket that fit on the end of the stock cable and hooked to the e-brake arm.

The problem is this,

When I adjusted the cable so that the slack was taken up, I could not pull the e-brake handle up.

When I loosened the cable adjuster a little, the I could pull the handle up, but the e-brake would not hold.

I think that maybe the cable does not have enough leverage to pull the e-brake arm back, but can't figure out why.

Any ideas?

Brad

Brad,

When I did the disc brake conversion on my 98 XJ over 3 years ago... the problem I encountered with the adjustment of the e-brake was that the tightly coiled spring that is wrapped around the drivers and passenger side brake cable at the end of the cables needs to be cut off. Once I did this the tension is removed from the e-brake cable (coiled spring puts return force on the cable when pulling the e-brake handle) and the knob at the end of the cable slips into the notch on the actuating arm. Now you can adjust the cable tension.
I used Cadillac Seville rear calipers with e-brake actuating arms for my conversion.

Charles

Thanks for the great info. Looks like I was on the right track, just needed to cut some of the coil spring off to release the tension.

Brad

Back