• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing / Replacing leaf centre pin

XJ91

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be putting degree shims on my rear leafs. Is two C-Clamps enough to hold the leafs together? While I remove the pin and incert the * shim? Also, Do I need to remove the leafs from the jeep or can I just remove the U-Bolts and drop the axle?

I will be replacing the u-bolts with new ones.

When I put in angle shim (2') I didnt even have to take of the center pin, I just loosened the u bolts until ther was a smal gap and inserted the shim. ( it had a hole big enough to fit around the head of the pin) my shim were made by Moroso and I got them at a local speed shop.

Sorry, I forgot to answer you original questions so here:
Yes two clamps are enough, put the as close as you can to the center without interfereing with the ubolts
No dont remove the spring from the frame if you have to do the pins, just loosen the ubolts.

The degree shims that I bought came with new centre pins and need to be bolted to the leaf. The head of the pin will not fit in the hole of the shim.

Then you will need to remove the u bolts ant the sping to plat but still dont remove the whole spring pack. Just remove the lower shock nut and let the axle droop below the springs, put on your clamps, Try to loosen the center pin (it will probably break) and then put he center pin witht he new shim back to gether. I fyou doo one side at a time, dont fully thighten the first side (just snug the ubolts so the axle isnt moving around) until both sides are on and then tighten them both. otherwise you are putting some wierd strain on everything with one side having a shim and the other not.

You are going to want that pin to go thru the shim and into the hole on the axle pad.That is what locates the axle.
Enlarge the hole in the shim so the pin goes thru.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
You are going to want that pin to go thru the shim and into the hole on the axle pad.That is what locates the axle.
Enlarge the hole in the shim so the pin goes thru.
Wayne

That hole is small on purpose, it's supposed to be bolted together into the spring pack by the center pin. DO NOT ENLARGE THAT HOLE.

dennisuello said:
That hole is small on purpose, it's supposed to be bolted together into the spring pack by the center pin. DO NOT ENLARGE THAT HOLE.

ThanX for that... :cheers:

I do know that the shim needs to be bolted too the leaf, this way the pin still goes into the hole on the perch.

Back