• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what type of spark plugs?

Jackhill442

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to tune up my '96 with 190,000 miles. I want to know if anyone has any experience with the bosch platinum 4 spark plugs, or any of the bosch platinums. If not these, what are the best plugs to go with for increased power and miledge. Also, what cap, rotor, and plugs. I have always gone with standard champion plugs and had great results, just wondering if improvements can be had. Thanks,
Jack

My 98 with over 210,000mi has been fine with dealer supplied OEM champion plugs, OEM cap, wires and rotors, I replace them yearly when I do my annual tune up. I say dealer supplied because I had an incident where I picked up 4 plugs from the dealer and then picked up 2 more from an auto parts store, same part number, different plug, the parts store seemed cheaper, smaller electrode. I've since stuck with the dealer supplied parts for the XJ and both TJ's. Might try the High performance plug wires next time though if I think about it and get a set ordered... I've had 'not good' results with plats so I tend to stay away from them...

I can say that asking this question is like going to a burger shack and asking people what kinda soda should you drink. Everyone here is going to have a different opinion. Dont forget the search feature as this topic is covered several times.

But here goes..... I used Champion Truck plugs for a while... also used Splitfires (wont ever do that again), Bosch, Autolite, Denso/NGK's, etc..
Platium plugs are good for longevity. The platium is harder then materials used in regular plugs and also does not take as much engery to transfer electrons. They run more efficiently for a longer period of time. Also when they reach operating temps they are self cleaning. Now there are those that are totally against using anything but Champions, or AC Delco, or Autolite, and they will never listen to anything positive about using a Bocshe, NGK, etc. And in some circles you will only hear one or two different brand names mentioned as if they are the Gods of the Realm. Im most Volkswagen Aircooled you only use Bosch, or Toyota guys only use Denso or NGK, and Some 4x4 groups that run mostly domestic rigs only use a namebrand accociated with US 4x4's.

I have used Bosch platium plugs and they work very well. I have had issues with Champion plugs at times and when my last rig would not pass smog testing with brand new Champion Truck plugs I replaced them with a set of Denso regular plugs and it passed with flying colors. With the Bosch Platium 2 plugs you wont need to gap them and they have twice the platium. I do not think you need to use the +4's as I really do not think you will notice anything. Its just overkill for the stock motor. Ive seen a couple threads that brought up the use of NGK Iridium plugs... Iridium is 6 times harder then platium and has a higher melting point. It transfers electrons even better then platium. It is very expensive as is platium. So not all platium plugs are made equally. Bosch and Denso/NGK platiums are very good plugs and I do not think you can go wrong with either. The NGK Iridium plugs are even more awesome but they are like 3 to 4 times the cost. Some of my friends run them in their cars, all of which are either running a turbo or SC engine. I thought about buying some for the XJ but it just to much money for me to justify spending.

Caps and Rotors..... make sure you get a good quality set... with brass or even copper inserts... if they use aluminum they are cheap. Aluminum also oxidizes more then brass or copper and is very harsh on the distributors bearings.

I like to use a good quality plur wire set... Bosch is one of my favorites unless I dont care much for the vehicle at the time and then I buy a good brand that doesnt cost as much as the Bosch wires.

Also dont forget about looking into the O2 sensors at this mileage and maybe the coil.

you never said what is in your rig now...iam using the splitfire in my 97...what problems did you see with that plug so i well watch for it...thanks ||charles||

In my last Rig I used Denso after the brand new set of Champion Truck plugs failure the smog test three times.... the AW4 died in that one so I traded it for the one I have now.... Im not sure what it has yet.... I remember looking but forgot..... they are getting replaced this weekend anyway so if the thread is still alive I will post then...

The first time I used the Splitfires was in my Honda Vtec.... they were the ones recommended for my vehicle... my fuel economy went down like the Titanic. The car was still pretty much brand new.... I did a ton of highway driving between Dallas and OKC so I was pretty constant with my mileage. As soon as I put the Splitfires in my fuel economy went to shiat as did a noticable amount of my cars performance... I ran them for a month and it never got better... replaced them with the factory plugs and everything was happy.... I have also used Splitfires on my GMC 4x4 and noticed nothing to justify them ever again...... Some of the circles I run in have had issues with Splitfires and melted electrodes. And I have seen one set of NGK Iridium plugs get melted in a turbo application using a factory ignition system.

Thanks alot guys, esp. mountain goat. So do you think I would benefit most over OEM plugs, or Bosch Platinum 2's, as it is going to be either of these. Thanks,
Jack

Stay away from the plus 2 and plus 4 variety...the gaps arent adjustable. the one set of plus fours that I've had to deal with were set around .090" when the gap was supposed to be closer to .035", as far as I'm concerned, the multi-electrode non adjustable plugs should only be used with aftermarket ultra high ignition voltages. Stick w/ a single electrode plug.
As for the platinum or non platnum, platnum is usually the better choice. I'd stay away from Bosch, I have seen way to many times where bosch platinum plugs have melted down the center electrode and started causing misfires. Not cool if you're in a smog check area.

motorcraft (i know, ferd parts)

i used to work in a shop that did everything from frame ups on FJ 40's to Jose with his pickup with the lawnmower still in the back to Audi to 70's Bronco's to the fastest 1940 ford roadster in the US (custom built frame with a blown 454 that could smoke the tires on the freeway) and we put motorcraft plugs into all of them because they lasted the longest, and were high quality (we always went with the 4x platnum).
and that is what the boss said put in...
just my expierence...

the worms are out of the box..... how do you get them back in? hahaha

442..... brand is up to you... I can praise all day long but the truth is there will always be others that strike down anything positive I or others have to say... Bosch makes a nice standard plug. All those I have seen use them (including myself), I have yet to see one not work well. When the Bosch Platinums first came out there were some issues with older vehicles (pre XJ years). But I have used the Bosch Platinums in Honda's, Land Cruisers (down to 1964), GMC and my old 1978 Triple White Convertible; with no issues. And I have also used Champion Truck plugs more then one time. They were ok.

As for which plug I am going to use for this lastest XJ...... this time I think I will see how the Denso Platinums or NGK Iridiums work for my XJ. The Iridiums are a lot of money.... but they are awesome plugs.

As for the wider gap.... platium and iridium use a smaller area to accomplish more spark... because they both move electrons better then traditional metals used in plugs.... they produce a better spark... the +2's have twice the platinum of the single electrode plugs and the +4's have four times the platinum... they are more expensive due to the ammount of preciouse metals used in them. Not all platinum plugs are made equally.

Splitfire Triple Platinum plugs & Dual Path wires-- 2 years now, perfect burn & noticable improvement; love 'em

weird this comes up so soon after i swapped.

i gotta agree with mountain goat completely about the Bosch Platinum's. i've always run them in all of my rigs prior to this last set i had. i tried a set of Splitfires for the heck of it... they weren't *bad* but i definitely like the Bosch Platinum's. now i can say that i've tried other stuff but i'll always keep coming back to the Bosch stuff.

oh yeah, FWIW, i'd rather run just a standard set of Champions than the splitfires again.

I agree about the Splitfires, only heard bad things about them. I know chryslers love cheap plugs, thats why new trucks still come with resistor plugs. I have never had luck with Bosch platinums. Put them in a Turbo car and burned them up really quick. I just replaced the Bosch Platinums in my 89" xj with Autolites, wanted Champion but they didnt carry them. Runs much better. I worked at an engine shop and we built 400+ hp 351 Fords, only ran Autolites, never had a problem. I dont go for hype, I go cheap and reliable.
Cap, Rotor, Wires, go Dealer or go home. The Mopar wires are a good price also. Just a thought...

I agree, I just put 6 new Autolite's in my 98 XJ. At walmart ,6 plugs, $6.00.
So far, very smooth acceleration, nothing fancy, and a little improved gas mileage.
Can't beat it.
The thing still can gitty up!

Back