• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crossmember question

Uglygreenxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am working on building a new Xmember. I am currently running the stock one with a 1" drop. I am going to install a SYE when I install the new Xmember.

My question is this: what is the measurement from the bottom of the frame to the mounting face of the transmission mount (with the Xmember in the stock location)? I am coming up with 3/8" but my Xmember is so badly bowed/bent that I'm not confident in my measurment. Someone said 1/4" in another thread.

Does it really matter? If you can drop it down a full inch and not cause any problems, then might it be possible to raise it up to even with the bottom of the frame without any ill effects?

Im working on mine as we speak.Figure the stock mount to be 2"x4" wiith a 1/4" drop.Im going long arm so Im using 2"x4" and build in a 1/2" drop while gaining a 1/4" in clearance height.

Thanks! I am going to use 1/4" thick steel so I figure I should be able to get away with making mine 1" tall (I've seen guys just use 1/4" channel & mine will be boxed) and 1/4" sounds good now for the drop. I was going to have our companies sheetmetal shop bend the drop into mine but 1/4" is not enough of a space.

http://www.orgsmfg.com/product/xmember.htm

Hope that link helps a bit. From what i read and see there is that with the mounting point 3/16 (plate thickness) lower than the frame rail it raises the T-case 1/4 to 5/8ths

Tim

The built in drop from the frame rails very from trnny type and also some year differences. If you shoot for a 1/4" drop from frame rail you should come out close enough to clear the tranny and any other stuff in the way. It might push it up slightly but with an sye that won't matter much.

mark
orgs mfg

Wow! Thanks for all the information. What would I do without this forum? - People would be chasing me and my tapemeasure out from under their Jeeps in the mall parking lot!

Back