• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

why am i rubbing the lca's?

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
i am running 33 x 12.50 on 15 x 8 ar 767's, not sure on the backspacing but i thought those had enough to not rub the lower control arms, anyways im rubbing at and almost at a full steering lock on each side, i cut my fenders so i know its not rubbing the fenders, i am also rubbing my swaybar on one side. how do i fix this?

Adjust your steering stops. You will see a bolt down on the steering knuckle with a welded nut on it. Remove this whole assembly (NOTE: Do not attempt to force the bolt loose from the tack-weld!!) and add a washer or two until it doesn't rub anymore.
steer2.jpg

Last edited:
Curiously, if you don't know the backspacing of your rims, then how could you think they wouldn't rub?

Reduce your steering radius by adjusting the steering stops as XJBill mentioned or, as I prefer, get rims that have the correct (less) backspacing. For an 8" wide rim 4.5" of backspacing seems to work well for many people.

Tom R. said:
Curiously, if you don't know the backspacing of your rims, then how could you think they wouldn't rub?

Reduce your steering radius by adjusting the steering stops as XJBill mentioned or, as I prefer, get rims that have the correct (less) backspacing. For an 8" wide rim 4.5" of backspacing seems to work well for many people.

very true

just throw a lock washer in each side of the steering stop and your good to go

I should've mentioned I am running 35 x 12.50's on an 8" wide rim with 4" backspacing and had to do this. My 33 x 10.50's never rubbed.

so don't turn the wheel so far then.

"adjusting" the steering stops doesn't make the steering box stop trying to force the wheels to turn.

this is how people rip steering boxes off the frame, bend draglinks, and screw up all kinds of steering components. not to mention extra stress on already marginal balljoints, rod ends and knuckles.

Ok, so by your theory, the steering stops shouldn't be there from the factory on any vehicle ever produced???? :doh:

the steering stops doesn't make the steering box stop trying to force the wheels to turn.
This is correct and this is why steering stops are put on vehicles. Without it, your steering box would rotate the pitman arm completly around and would start to "invert" it. Without steering stops, you could actually keep turning right utill it reached the "peak" right turn and then your wheels would actually start turning left as the pitman arm "inverted".

People rip steering boxes off the frame, bend draglinks, and screw up all kinds of steering components because they pull too hard on the wheel. This can happen, not only from the factory steering stop, but from a rock, tree, or other obsticle blocking the front wheels turning ability causing it to bind and break stuff. Then, throw the added stress of larger tires into the mix and you can see why they have steering box braces/brackets, heavy duty draglinks, tie rod ends and tierods.

Last edited:
Bill, dont be a clown. Yes the steering stops are there to provide enough resistance for the power steering pump to go into bypass and not turn your draglink into spaghetti. This doesn't reduce the pressure on the box itself however which is why you have to check your box bolts regularly.

Your tires are rubbing because rubber deflects, it's a soft material and when you turn it tries to roll off the rim. This and worn unit bearings (aka hubs) on a D30 make it worse.

Get used to the rub & worry about something else.

-jb

XJBill said:
(NOTE: Do not attempt to force the bolt loose from the tack-weld!!) and add a washer or two until it doesn't rub anymore.

I've had trouble with this in two ways:

#1 - The genius who tacked my stops didn't align the nut and bolt, so the entire assembly can't be moved with a standard socket wrench or box end due to the messy weld and misaligned nut/bolt head.

#2 - It's an absolute b!#&* to drill and tap the knuckle for a new bolt, so be careful and try to relief cut the weld a bit - it will break free, allowing you to adjust the whole thing if it's not aligned properly.

Back